Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

Itching around my scrotum and genital area, it is driving me

Customer Question

itching around my scrotum and genital area, it is driving me crazy. my g.p has failed for any cure!
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for the query.Scrotal and genital area itching is almost always due to fungal infections. The important thing with fungal infections is not only to apply creams but to have systemic approach towards the problem. The first thing to do is to see a Dermatologist instead of a GP. The dermatologist will send a culture swab from the affected area for fungal culture to identify which type of fungus is contaminating that area. Once, that has been done anti fungal therapy should be initiated for that particular fungus. The anti fungal medication is given orally for a couple of weeks along with antifungal powder instead of creams, since creams make the area humid and moist which inhibits aeration and causes bad hygiene, the kind of environment fungi like to dwell in.Keep the area dry and clean and apply antifungal powder along with antifungal medication. This will improve the outcome and chances of resolution will increase.Hope this helps.Please do leave a positive rating for the service.Best wishes.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
yes fourth generation test considered conclusive after 6 weeks.Best wishes.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
sorry above is answer to another question, posted here by mistake.Please do leave a positive rating for your answer.Best wishes.