Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Tan/brown coloured rash on lower legs? began on one leg and

Customer Question

tan/brown coloured rash on lower legs? began on one leg and doc treated with antibiotics and betnovate.Now extended to other leg?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.Could you attach a picture of the rash?
I had asked for some pictures and have not heard back. A brown colored rash affecting both legs would be most worrisome for inflammation related to chronic swelling of the legs. It is also true that the area that is inflamed can become secondarily infected, but the underlying condition is the inflammation. It is difficult to be able to say more without reviewing pictures. For this problem, it may respond to topical steroids, but there also can be treatment oriented toward the underlying swelling that is causing the inflammation. The usual first line treatment would be compression stocking, such as TED stockings. It also may help to use a supplement called horse chestnut, which helps to improve venous tone. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
This question has appeared again on the Question List, but I do not see any follow-up question. Please let me know if you have any further questions.