DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Last week I had a tiny dot no bigger than a pencil point

Customer Question

Last week I had a tiny dot no bigger than a pencil point which was red and if you ran your finger over it, it felt like a skin tag on the the top of my arm near to where my bra strap lies. I literally scratched it off and after a short time bleeding I thought nothing more of it. As I got dressed this morning I noticed a dark brown/blackish blood blister in the same place, however, it was alot larger in size about 3mm and I did not notice it last night and I am sure I would have when I got undressed. Due to shock I squeezed it and it flattened. The blood has dried into a small bump. I am petrified that this could be nodular melenoma, especially because this was just a "normal" part of my skin. Would you feel a growth under the skin if it was nodular melenoma?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloThere is absolutely no way to tell exactly what this is at this point.A melanoma would not dissapear because you scratched it.There would still be plenty of evidence of pigmentation and other findings.I think this was likely a skin tag, that you formed a blood blister.Simply take it to your doctor.I can also look at a picture here. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm left with a dark red/brown blood scab, might this be pigmentation? I kind of pulled it off more than scratched it. I'm going out of my mind with worry.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
Nothing looks like melanoma.Show it to your doctor for magnified exam.However, there are no melanoma features here.A dermatoscope exam would be ideal at this point. please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Who would carry out that exam? A doctor or dermatologist? Also, can nodular melanomas heal?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
Dermatologist.Any melanoma must be removed.They do not heal on their own.Please, a positive rating ...we are only paid per rating, not for time.Come back as needed.See my offer as well.