Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

My two year old recently had an extremely severe bout

Customer Question

My two year old recently had an extremely severe bout of chicken pox which became infected (she nearly died with toxic shock syndrome and was on Clyndomysin and IV anti virals). Her face has 100 or so large scabs, 3 of which have fallen off leaving pitted scars. How do we minimise this? Do we keep the scabs mosturised (and if so what do you recommend?). What can we do to encourage the healing process and prevent scarring?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. DavidI would keep the scabs moisturized with Neosporin or Aquafore or you can use Lanolin ointment which is safe for babies skin.once the scabs fall off, you can use Mederma anti-scar ointment on the area.make sure you follow up with a pediatrician to make sure his scabs and skin heal up properly.let me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me again:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com