Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My daughter has erythema nosodum with chronic joint and

Customer Question

My daughter has erythema nosodum with chronic joint and stomach pain and diarrhoea. She is too unwell during a flare up to go to the hospital. I want to find a private Dermatologist who will help her.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Where is she located?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Portsmouth Hampshire

The closest private Dermatologists to Portsmouth that I can find are -

Arim Karim, phone number of *********** and

Peter Coburn, phone number of *********** /p>

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will she need a referral from her GP to see a Dermatologist privately?

No, not to see one privately.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Can we do anything to alleviate the symtons in the meantime. This renders her housebound and occurs every few weeks. A bowel scan showed possible Crohns but the Gastrointestinal Consultant has not contacted us since before Christmas last year.

The erythema nodosum is usually first treated with non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, such as ibuprofen or naproxen. If the inflammation is more persistent or severe, then using a steroid for relief of inflammation would be an option. Only the non-steroidal drugs are available over the counter.

It is also frequently soothing to apply cool, wet compresses and to rest and elevate the legs several times during the day.

It is also frequently associated with an underlying systemic disease, such as Crohns disease, and treatment of the underlying condition will usually have a great effect on the erthema nodosum. If there is a possibility of Crohns disease and the GI consultant has not contacted you, then it would be appropriate for you to contact the GI consultant.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have made some calls today and have been told that she will need a GP referral?

It is not needed, in that any specialist may choose to see patients without a referral. However, any individual specialist may also choose to only see patients by referral.