Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

If I have skin scraping analysed would it confirm what is

Customer Question

If I have skin scraping analysed would it confirm what is biting, living on me?
I know it's likely 99.9% but no it's 100% the bird mites: starlings nested in attic above my bedroom: since leaving my skin irritations worsened from hands with burrow marks in them like paper cuts, extremely sore: progressed to itching on my groin unfortunately. I can no longer sleep in bedroom have taken to the couch downstairs past 5 days
My landlord today is being argumentative/rude, saying it could be my 22yr old son that's brought them in via sleeping around, or my dogs even.
My question is will a skin scraping show conclusively that it is bird mites?
Advice appreciated! suzanne
Category: Dermatology
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 11 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Could you attach a picture of the skin lesions, preferably a lesion that has not been damaged by scratching?

I had asked for a picture and have not heard back.

Diagnosing bird mites is frequently difficult and there is no method that will work in 100% of cases, or even 99% of cases.

It is correct that the method of identification of bird mites would require microscopic examination. However, the best method for collection of the specimen can vary according to the nature of the lesions, which is why I asked for a picture. A scraping may be appropriate, but if there are burrows that contain fluid, expression of that fluid may be more likely to yield a good specimen. In some cases, it would be better to collect multiple specimens by various methods to have a better chance to detect bird mites.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.