Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I had a breast lumpectomy on January 13th with 15 sessions

Customer Question

i had a breast lumpectomy on January 13th with 15 sessions of radiation to the area which i completed at the nd of March 2016, my question is, can i buy anything that will 'soften' my scar? i have to undergo a mammigram in a few months time, and i am anxious that, because of the scar tissue, this will be painful. I am trying to find something to ease this, i have, to date, tried Bio oil, E45 cream, Vitamin E cream, my pharmacist has recommeded, Aveno and Diprobase cream, but these are having little effect. I have read that silicone strips are helpful? I would really appreciate your advice, as i am anxious beyond belief of having a mammogram with these scars. My scars are underneath my left nipple in a straight line and under the breast itself. Thank you so much
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 11 months ago.

This is Dr. David

I am a radiation oncology doctor.

surgery and radiation can cause scar tissue.

best thing is moisturizing the skin and massaging the area.

scar tissue forms in the first 3-6 months after radiation completes

your doctors should have talked to you about stretching and massage therapy of your breast to minimize scar tissue after radiation therapy.

you can try Mederma anti scar creams as well.

let me know if you have questions.