Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

Please help me I don't know whether I have acne, rosacea,

Customer Question

Please help me I don't know whether I have acne, rosacea, dermatitus or all 3. My forehead flakes and has a cluster of 4 small red bumps about 4cm up from my eyebrow, which if knocked they weep a little Is that dermatitus or is it just from dry skin? my nose has little veins on the sides of it ans a little red around nostrils. No obvious sign of redness on any other areas of face. don't know whether that is rosacea or just from irritation and i'm sure I have acne as well please help me. Also what do rosacea bumps look like how can I tell them apart from acne bumps. Thanks
Category: Dermatology
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm so depressed and need guidance
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Or is the forehead acne? I'm so confused really need some help
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm a 22 year old female symptoms started 6 months ago
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Anyone please help
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Please
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Please anyone
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 months ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I just want someone to answer me ive been waiting a lot longer that 24 hours
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 months ago.

This is Dr. David

A general rule of thumb in distinguishing between rosacea and acne vulgaris is that blackheads (comedones) occur only in acne, while only rosacea involves persistent redness and flushing

your skin doesn't look red

those look more like acne vulgaris and blackheads and pimples on your face.

that is more than just dry skin. you need to see a doctor. prescription antibiotic creams and pills can help you fight the bacteria in the skin pores causing the acne and can help clear up your skin.

without redness, it is not rosacea.

the tiny little veins and blood vessels are normal on your skin.

let me know if you have questions.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Underneath my nose is red though? And has little veins beside the nose in the creases? Doesn't that mean rosacea? Also I've had some papules on my cheek for 6 months surely that's not normal acne? Also my forehead is really dry and flaky and has a group of 4 small red spots which ooze fluid then crust over is that not sebboheric dermatitus? Please reply I'm so lost

underneath your nose being red is not enough to say you have rosacea.

yes, acne can be on your cheek for 6 months.

your forehead is also from acne as well.

you need to see a doctor and get some prescription acne treatment.

have you tried Proactive acne face washes yet?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What about redness at the sides with spider veins? I don't know whether the papules on my cheeks are from rosacea? I thought acne on forehead doesn't ooze and crust? No I haven't tried proactiv

the redness on the sides of your nose with spider veins is not rosacea

this is some mild dermatitis most likely from oily skin from your nose.

the papules on your cheeks are from acne.

acne on the forehead can ooze and crust.

you should try proactive acne skin cleanser and treatment and see if that helps

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
How do you know it's not rosacea? I'm not sure if it's acne on my forehead or dermatitus though? When the dry skin comes off it is a little pink looking?

because you don't have progression flushing and redness as the main symptom of your skin.

I'm sure you have acne on your forehead

you should see a doctor or dermatologist face to face to get a proper diagnosis and treatment plan

you will never know for sure until you see a doctor face to face.

it sounds like your depression and anxiety symptoms are keeping you from being able to move forward on your skin issues.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm just really scared, i never had any skin issues up until 6 months ago :( I just don't know what's going to happen to me, yes I've severely depressed ive had to go on antidepressants and haven't left the house in 2 months :'( ive been to my doctor 4 times for this issue not one looked at me properly and just said acne and sent me off with things that don't work. I'm now on lymecycline? Is that any good?? What's making me the most anxious is not knowing whether I have the 3 conditions. I just want my life back :(
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
That's my left cheek, what does that look like? Thank you

lymecycline is a type of antibiotic used to treat bacteria which is in skin pores which can cause acne.

you need to get some treatment for your anxiety and depression symptoms so you can leave the house and see a doctor.

are you using the lymecycline every day?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ive only been on it for a week though. I just don't feel like I can live my life how I used to, it's so sad. Also what did you think of the picture I just posted? Thanks

you need to give it more time

you need to talk to your doctor about treatment for your anxiety and depression symptoms.

are you willing to go on treatment for anxiety and depression?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm already on treatment for it. Please can you look at this , this is my left cheek

yes, I see it.

it looks like acne and scars from your acne.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What sort of acne do you think I have? Do you not think I have rosacea then? Thanks

I think you have acne vulgaris

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My doctor said cystic? If you look at this picture I think this is post inflammatory hyperpigmentation as where the round marks are were papules does that look correct ?

yes, that looks like post inflammatory skin hyperpigmentation from cystic acne.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Could the lymecycline work for me then or not? What should I do in the meantime ? Any suggestions?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 months ago.

you should try the Proactive acne face wash system.

you should also continue to take the lymecycline with food in your stomach

and avoid oily and fatty foods

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I think the system will be to harsh for my dry skin, is there anything more gentle I'm also allergic to benzoyl peroxide. Also how long is good to judge whether the lymecycline is working or not? Thanks

you don't know if it is too harsh for your skin until you try it.

you need to try the lymecycline for 3 months

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I think if this doesn't work I'll be opting for roaccutane as nothing has worked so far, I just don't see a way out of this and it has changed my life :(

yes, you can try roaccutane as the next step

you may need better treatments for your anxiety and depression symptoms as well.

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Also ive got little skin colour bumps on the sides of my stomach any idea what that from? Thanks

upload a clear jpg photo of the area

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I can't right at the minute, they just look like small bumps, also dry skin on hips, maybe I just need to moisturise more ?

sure you can try some more moisturizer.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Should I be worried about the dry skin on hips?

no, you don't have to be worried about the dry skin there.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
that just means I have dry skin there and it's nothing serious

right.

dry skin.

nothing serious

you may need to use a bit of moisturizer all over your body after you shower to help prevent dry skin during the day.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It is quite flaky though

you might need thicker moisturizer.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I hope it's not dermatitus too

dermatitis is a general term for inflammation of the skin.

why are you so afraid of dermatitis.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Because I can't deal with the acne let alone that as well

you need to calm down and not look for other problems

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm just really scared of what's going to happen to me I used to be so happy

this is due to your psychiatric issues, not your skin acne.

there are those out there with skin acne who are happy.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm only sad because of my skin though I just don't know why this is happening it's scarey

I bet if your skin cleared up magically, you would still be battling depression and anxiety symptoms and you would find something else to worry about.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No I wouldn't I would be back to my happy self. I'll be batthing this until I'm 50 probably
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Battling

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Would cerave be any good? I don't even know what I should be using to cleanse with, do you think this acne is hormonal ?

yes, you can use cerave foaming facial cleanser.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Do you think there will be a way to control this ?

yes, there are treatments for facial acne which will work for you.

you just have to find the right one.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I hope I can find something. Could be the lymecycline. Just feel I'm the only one dealing with this

you should join this UK acne foundation and support system

http://www.britishskinfoundation.org.uk/skininformation/atozofskindisease/acne.aspx

they have online chat and support groups you can join and events you can attend.

it would be good for your anxiety and depression symptoms to seek out support from others who are also battling acne

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I just can't believe that no one has found a cure for this don't think people realise the torment people have to go through daily

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Any input on what moisturiser I should use? I don't even think I have oily skin

you may need different moisturizers on different parts of your body.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok thanks

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm going to a dermatologist in 4 weeks

that is good.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I really think I've got rosacea as well

talk to your doctor about it

I suspect you don't

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What's the difference from rosacea papules and acne papules?

rosacea is a chronic disorder that occurs primarily in the central portion of the face and usually includes redness, flushing and blushing, and bumps (papules) and pimples (pustules). Rosacea can also involve the eyes and even a bulbous nose.

Acne is a product of many factors, involving the hair follicles, hormonal stimulation of oil gland cells and bacteria that can be treated with antibiotics. On the other hand, recent research has found that rosacea appears to be linked to a dysfunction of the body's natural immune system, and should thus be treated with medications designed for their anti-inflammatory rather than antibacterial effects.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What does this look like please help me

that looks more like acne.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Even though it crusts like a yellow colour ?

yes, it is cystic acne or acne vulgaris.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
They are like little red bumps though?

I'm going to opt out and let another doctor help you here.

I doesn't seem my responses are helping you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok, is there someone here who I can get a second opinion from too please
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Dr David , do you think accutane would be an option for me? I know all the hinge about it such as having to be on 2 forms of birth control as it can cause deformitys in foetuses, I know that you have to have blood tests every month to make sure the livers ok, I know the side effects. It gets to a point though where enough is enough. Also could it work for my age 22
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Dr David my forehead is very flakey now with lots of bumps