Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have several lumps that have appeared on my skin ( legs,

Customer Question

I have several lumps that have appeared on my skin ( legs, arms and trunk). some have been there for years and never caused me a problem. Earlier this year I one of these lumps removed from my back and the results show this is an atypical fibroxanthoma. I would like to know should I have all of the other (9) lumps removed based on this diagnosis?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 10 months ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 10 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

If these other lumps appear similar to the lump that was removed, then yes, they would typically be removed. They do not carry the same prognosis as cancer, and can generally be treated with conservative surgical removal (rather than a wider excision that would be necessary for cancer), but they are still generally removed.

However, we also usually see atypical fibroxanthomas on skin that has higher sun exposure, such as the head and neck. The extremities also can receive much sun exposure, but it is less common for the trunk to develop atypical fibroxanthomas.

So, the first step would be review of the other lumps to see if they also have the appearance of an atypical fibroxanthoma, and if they also look worrisome, it would be appropriate to then consider removal.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.