wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City
48069651

My teenage daughter has had bad acne for 3 years and been on

Customer Question

my teenage daughter has had bad acne for 3 years and been on trimerthprim x 200she has tried all external products does she need to try accutane ??
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dermatology
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
im fine to email here
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
hello its been over 1 day now ???
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 month ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 1 month ago.

Has she seen a dermatologist?

Does your daughter have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
she is 15 has no other medical conditions and has tried all external creams and potions with no success - im reluctant to see a dermatologist as they just seem to wanna see you 2/3 times then end up giving you accutane
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for that additional information.

At this point, while you may feel you already know what a dermatologist will do, or has to offer, everything your daughter has tried to use has not worked.

So. As a father of 3 daughters as well as physician, what would I suggest?

1. Go see a dermatologist. You have nothing to loose and, if you don't want to, you do not have to go back multiple times to continue care.

There are many other tools in the dermatologists bag of tricks than accutane....

Does this make sense to you?

I realize that this was not the answer you were hoping to hear but it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information.

Surely, you prefer that I tell the truth rather than what you wish to hear. Because it reflects very poorly on me unless you press one of the top three feedback choices, keep this in mind when rating my answer and please do not punish me for being honest. I understand that this may not be easy to hear, and I empathize.

Even though my answer was not quite what you were hoping for, please understand that my priority was to provide you with the most honest information. With that in consideration, I hope that you found my answer useful. Please click the excellent feedback button so that I can receive credit for my efforts.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I appreciate you being direct and honest in the uk you have to pay around £150 per visit to see a dermatologist ( its not free on the NHS)
And seeing my daughter has tried a zillion different external products with zero difference im thinking accutane is the final option ( i agree not ideal)do you see accutane working in the real world like they say ( 2/3 months) ? - i read about the potential side affects but my thoughts are a clear skin would in itself make you feel loads better to counteract any potential side affects ??
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 1 month ago.

I would not just start using accutane without the guidance of a physician, even if that doctor was "only" a GP. While it is very effective -- and may very well help your daughter -- it can have very serious side effects, as you already know.

Clear skin is not worth the the risks, especially when a MD can help to avoid them. This is especially true in women of child bearing age, as spelled out in this very good article from a highly respected source:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/isotretinoin-oral-route/description/drg-20068178

I am sure that your money would be well spent helping your daughter finally get her acne under control in a safe and effective way. What better way do you have to spend your 150 pounds?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thanks for that - i also read accutane is taken in x 2 courses and then ( fingers crossed ) not taken again ??
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
considering my daughter has taken antibiotics for 3 years with zero success - what would be worse ??
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 1 month ago.

a lot of the side effects of accutane could be a worse......

In my professional opinion you are making a very serious mistake by dosing your daughter with this powerful -- and dangerous -- drug on your own.

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me the top rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
what approach would you recommend for a 15 year old girl with bad acne on her face and shoulders that has tried antibiotics for 3 years with zero affect plus tried scrubs/potions/masks/proactiv etcmy daughter also has v greesy skin which i had as a kid and remember nothing fixed that
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 1 month ago.

Consult a dermatologist in person for professional help since everything you have tried over the years on your own has not helped.

This is, obviously, not something that you can deal with on your own....

Make sense?

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the GP has recommended my daughter try the pill for a bit before going on accutane - in your opinion does the work in the real world Rick ?
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 1 month ago.

Yes. My youngest daughter did that with very good results when she was 17.

I'd definitely give birth control pills a try.

Make sense?

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
may i ask how long it took your 17 year old daughter to see a difference ??
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
hello