healingtouches
healingtouches, Board Certified MD
Experience:  US Trained, Board certifications in Echocardiography, Vascular Ultrasound, Nuclear Cardiology, Cardiac CT, Cardiology and Internal Medicine
54460990

Dear doctor, I regularly shave my chest and sometimes i get

Customer Question

Dear doctor,
I regularly shave my chest and sometimes i get ingrown hairs, I usually pick them out it's not a problem normally. However recently I am finding I am picking the hairs out and the skin around the area is not healing as it used to, there is now a dark brown area around where the ingrown hair used to be. About just under 2 months ago, I had a deep ingrown hair on my chest that went right under the skin, and I had to dig deep to get this out. I eventually got the hair out, but the area was scabbed quit abit because of how deep the hair had gone. Ever since the area is red at its core, less red around that and the skin around that even is dark brown and it will not heal anymore than this. I am wondering whether or not I have an infection or something. There is no further pain or soreness or anything like that, It's just the fact that i can see it. I have taken pictures, what;s your advice?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dermatology
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Please see attached pictures.
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 month ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  healingtouches replied 1 month ago.

I understand your concerns.

Thank you for the detailed history and the pictures.

The area doesn't look infected in the pictures, but rather irritated with scar tissue formation.

You can try a combination of an over the counter ointment that contains zinc oxide to calm down the area and help it heal.

If there's no change in 2-3 weeks, have it seen close up by a dermatologist to see if it needs to be monitored or biopsied.

Kindest regards,

Please don't forget to rate me.
I will still be available to chat and clarify things even after you have accepted the answer.
Kindest Regards, *****

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Hi Sorry for the late response, thank you for your advice.