Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have red, itchy, hot skin on both legs. It spread from one

Customer Question

I have red, itchy, hot skin on both legs. It spread from one to the other. It's been spreading for a year and now covers 50% of lower legs. Skin is tight and stretched in some areas and flakey in others. Had private derm app 6 months ago and was diagnosed with trauma psoriasis from just a quick examination.Treatment has not been effective. Many thanks for your opening on next steps. Heather
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love and I will be assisting you.

Could you attach a picture of the red skin on the legs?

What treatments were previously tried?

Do you have any other medical problems?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Hi Dr Love,
Apologies for the delay in responding, I was gathering together the info you asked for. (I'm actually enquiring on behalf of my Mum).
The pictures you requested I am unable to attach because this question has been closed. I will try calling customer service.
The treatment that has been used without effect is as follows:
1)SYNALAR-N
2) AVEENO
3) CETRABEN
4) FUCIBET
Medical history - nothing major....irregular heartbeat....frequent morning migrane possible due to sleep apnia. Frequent bladder infection and pain in that area. On a daily dose on antibiotics for that.
Many thanks,
Alison (daughter of Heather *****)
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Hello, here are two images related to my question. Looking forward to your response. Many thanks, Alison
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 12 months ago.

Thank you for the pictures.

The appearance on the pictures is the typical appearance for psoriasis, so it is not surprising that a Dermatologist did not require a lengthy exam to make a diagnosis.

Psoirasis can be very stubborn in some people. There are a number of topical treatments that can be tried, and it is common to require multiple treatments to have much of an effect. The medicines that she has tried include steroids, a mild antibiotic combined with a steroid, and medicines to moisturize the skin, which try to soften the upper layers of skin to allow the other topical medicines to penetrate better.

Other topical medicines that can be used include anthralin, calcipotriene, and tazarotene. Anthralin inhibits the cells involves in the psoriatic lesion. Calcipotriene is a vitamin D derivative. Tazarotene is a retinoid. If the psoriasis does not respond to topical treatment, the usual next step would be phototherapy, and oral treatments are also available, but she should be tried on other topical medicines before considering these other options.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know. The system says that you requested a phone call, so I will send the Offer for the phone call. If you still want a phone call after reviewing the typed answer, you can respond to the offer.