Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General pratice
Experience:  Years of outpatient experience treating dermatological problems
18722459

I have a small on my big toe that I first noticed possibly 6

I have a small brown mark on my big toe that I first noticed possibly 6 months ago, I don't recall it changing at all during that time but I cannot say for sure. Initially I thought it was pen mark but recent attempts to scrub the area were unsuccessful and a foolish attempt to use a pumice like device just resulted in excessive rubbing and cutting my skin which it is just recovering from. It is about the shape of a grain of rice and although looks fairly insignificant to the naked eye it does seem to have a few darker spots in places, particularly at one side when I look using a USB microscope. I visited the gp as I have severe health anxiety and googling only led to extreme fear and he shrugged it off fairly quickly as 'probably just a freckle' and said to come back if it changes. He appeared to look at it using the scope like device usually used for ears. I do have some fairly atypical moles as I have very pale skin but I am worried he is missing something due to my web searches coming up with melanoma cases. It does not seem to look like any acral melanoma I have seen online but I am terrorfied nonetheless. I just wanted to get another opinion and see if there was anything else this could be. I do stub my toes fairly commonly and did wonder if it could be hyperpigmentation caused from a cut of some sort as it does appear to look more like a small wound. The darker dots I mentioned earlier were a brown colour but do seem more black since I damaged it with the pumice which might mean I am prone to skin damage? Please let me know your thoughts and thanks in advance.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 month ago.

Hello I'm Dr Chip

Could you please post a photo for me on this page?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Photo attached, it is about 4mm across
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 month ago.

Got it--thanks

It certainly doesn't look like any type of melanoma

And it's likely just a benign hyperpigmented area--a bit like a freckle

So I really don't think it's anything to worry about and I would see no need to biopsy it

Please let me know if you need any more information

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok thank you, ***** ***** dark/black spots of any concern at all or is that common with hyperpigmentation? I appreciate they are hard to see in the photo, I can only really personally see them with the USB scope. They are somewhat irregular and appear mainly at the edges, maybe around 4-5 in total.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 month ago.

Just common with hyperpigmentation and those are also benign

My pleasure

Please click on the 5 star excellent rating icon so I can get credit for my time with you