Medicaldoctor
Medicaldoctor, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS/MS
17287913

I have had Psoriasis (diagnosed) for the past 7 years

Customer Question

I have had Psoriasis (diagnosed) for the past 7 years although I suspect I have had it a lot longer. My psoriasis is pretty mild.
Just over two years ago, I developed a patch of alopecia aerata on my left eyebrow. At the time the docs were stumped as I had no hairloss anywhere else. The eyebrow started to regrow after 4-5 months and I thought nothing more of it.
Two weeks ago, I developed two bald patches on my scalp and my dermatologist confirmed it is Alopecia Areata.Through google I looked at case studies, and saw that I'm very likely to develop additional autoimmune diseases. I'm very worried that I will develop systemic Sclerosis, lupus or MS.I pulled up this article that totally frightened me. I'm not of a medical background but I read this as I have 50% chance of developing Alopecia Areata (which I already have) as well as systemic Sclerosis and Coeliac disease?Please help me understand a bit more
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Medicaldoctor replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to Justanswer,I shall be consulting you today.

Well having psoriasis does increase the risk of a person to develop other autoimmune diseases but it is not necessary that a person would develop these conditions as there are many patients with psoriasis who do not have any other autoimmune diseases.So you should not worry.

It depends upon genetic and environmental factors so it is difficult to determine the exact risk.

I hope this helps

Please do let me know if you have any questions.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I already have two: Psoriasis and Alopecia Areata, did you look at the link I sent? (http://www.jaad.org/article/S0190-9622(12)00462-8/fulltext) It's this that's really worried me.

Yes I have read it.

My point is that there is no doubt that these people are at increased risk of developing other autoimmune diseases but it is not for sure that they might develop these conditions.

In my practise I have seen so many patients with psoriasis who do not have SLE or celiac or sjogren's

There is an increased risk but it is not for sure to develop these conditions.It is highly probable that you would not develop any of these conditions.

You should not burden your mind with this.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Have you seen many with psoriasis and alopecia areata?

Yes there are thousands of patients with psoriasis and alopecia who do not develop any other autoimmune condition at all.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I meant both of those conditions on one patient not individually have you ever seen one?

Yes this is what I'm saying as well that all these patient had psoriasis as well as alopecia but no other autoimmune conditions

Please do leave a positive 5 star rating by clicking on the stars on top left of this thread.You can ask any follow up questions even after rating this positively.

Hi there,just checking in to see how things are going.Do you need any further assistance?