Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General pratice
Experience:  Years of outpatient experience treating dermatological problems
18722459

My boyfriend has been told that he has eczema on his

My boyfriend has been told that he has eczema on his foreskin, but it isn't scaly and doesn't look like eczema. It has been sore for about 2 years now and he is constantly being told different things by different doctors, but it is really making him struggle day to day as it is always on his mind. He is currently using moisturiser and steroid cream for it for 10 days a month, but it only seems to get better for a day and then instantly hurts and stings again
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 month ago.

Hello I'm Dr Chip

Could you please post a photo for me on this page?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
one minute
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 month ago.

Great

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He has just used his cream so it doesn't look any different at the moment
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 month ago.

OK

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
he would prefer not to send a picture if that's okay. We can describe anything you need to know
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 month ago.

No problem--just give me a full description

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He has a small patch on the foreskin around the head of his penis. It sometimes looks a bit red, and it started off looking a bit like eczema, so the doctors told him it was that. He has been given lots of different products to use but at the moment he is using steroid cream and moisturiser for it. The steroid cream is used for 10 days a month, but he has been told to use it for different amounts of time by different doctors at the same surgery. He has been using it for about 4 months now and it only seems to get better for about one day and then he feels a variety of pain, itchiness and sometimes stinging coming from the area. He mostly wants to know if it is safe for him to use the steroid cream still or should he have stopped using it a while back? Do you know if there is anything else he should use instead as he is worried about his skin thinning from using the steroid cream?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 month ago.

I fully understand

First off this doesn't sound at all like eczema

It sounds like balanitis--a yeast infection

So I suggest he try over the counter clotrimazole cream twice a day for two weeks to clear it up

You're right about the extended use of cortisone thinning the skin

If the clotrimazole doesn't work, if I were his doctor, I'd give him prescription ketoconazole cream

Please let me know if you need any more information

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do you think that he should still be using the steroid cream? Also he has used the clotrimazole before a couple of times due to the doctors and it did work a little but he had to use it a few times as it didn't seem to work fully.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 month ago.

If I were his doctor I'd have him stop the steroid cream

He should use the clotrimazole for at least two weeks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He did use it for about 2 weeks on the two times that he was told to use it. Is this something that can keep coming back?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 month ago.

Not if it's properly treated and he needs either prescription ketoconazole cream or oral Diflucan

Please click on the 5 star excellent rating icon so I can get credit for my time with you

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is there any way that we can get a prescription online as my partner is very anxious about going back to the doctors due to these 2 years worth of problems
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 month ago.

Sorry, no--we don't do that here. It would be both illegal and malpractice to provide a prescription for a patient I had never seen in my office

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That's fine, we will see a doctor tomorrow and ask for some ketoconazole cream. Thank you for your time
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 month ago.

My pleasure and call on me anytime