Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General pratice
Experience:  Years of outpatient experience treating dermatological problems
18722459
Dermatology

I wonder if you have an idea what is wrong with my

Hi, I wonder if you... Show More
Hi, I wonder if you have an idea what is wrong with my fingernail. I have osteoarthritis in my finger joint index finger . In the last 3 weeks it has become more swollen and very hot and stiff. My nail became yellow and cracked. Last week a had a blister type fluid filled cyst in the cuticle.it did burst and it was a clear fluid.
That has now healed but where it was in an arch at the bottom on the nail I now have a hole and is very sore. I saw a pharmacist who said over the counter remedies were of no use due to the hole and I needed antibiotics. I have spoke to my gp who refused,saying they are not required, although this was without seeing my nail , as they can cause liver damage but he did not suggest what I should do . The hole has appeared within two weeks and I have an appointment with the gp,but can’t get in for one month on a routine appointment, so I am concerned it will get bigger in that time .. thank you for your time..
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dermatology
Show Less
replied 1 month ago.

Hello I'm Dr Chip

Could you please post a photo for me on this page?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago.
Hopefully they’re got to you...
Dr. Chip, General pratice replied 1 month ago.

Got it--thanks

Is your finger below the nail tender?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago.
very..

You've got two things going on there--

You do have a fungal infection of the nail but that's nothing too serious right now

But you also have what's called a felon--a bacterial infection of the tip of your finger

That at the least requires a course of oral antibiotics but it may need to be lanced and drained so you need to have your doctor actually look at it as soon as possible

Please let me know if you need any more information

Customer reply replied 1 month ago.
Thank you .. I’ll recontact him tomorrow
Thank you for your time ..

My pleasure

Please click on the 5 star excellent rating icon so I can get credit for my time with you