Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General pratice
Experience:  Years of outpatient experience treating dermatological problems
18722459

I have small red areas on my penis head for the last four

Customer Question

I have small red areas on my penis head for the last four days, i noticed them after a bath where i used different shower gel, however, im worried as two days earlier i had oral sex
Category: Dermatology
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
I have added three photos which may help
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 29 days ago.

Hello I'm Dr Chip

Sorry for the delay

Are these sore at all?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
No no pain coming from any of there there was generally an itch to begin with but not since using the canesten cream. No pain or sore
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 29 days ago.

OK

These are not herpes or genital warts or a fungal infection

They're a variety of Fordyce spots--small benign cysts

Sex can sometimes trigger them but they aren't an STD

Usually they go away on their own but you can use over the counter RetinA or Retinol cream on them

Please let me know if you need any more information

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Why have they only come on now? I thought it could be balanitis as they came after using the shower gel.
The canesten cream has took the inital redness down. What makes you say they are Fordyce cysts out of interest and not herpes or fungai? I do have fordyce spots on my penile shaft and recently one became red but i never imagined the spots on the glands under the skin were the same. The ones on the penis head are not painful, but they are not raised they are flat
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Did you review the pictures i also sent?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 29 days ago.

Yes I looked at all your photos

But this doesn't look anything like balanitis

Herpes is a small collection of tiny clear blisters with a surrounding red/purple rash and it burns

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
from the photo reviews how sure are you that they are fordyce spots? What causes them on the penis head? Are they common as i have never had them before? I have been v worried that i may have caught hpv so this comes as a real relief if they are fordyce spots. How effective is the Retinel cream to help remove them as it is worrying and embarrassing. Sorry about the questions. There has been no burning when urinating. At times the spots appear redder in colour is that normal?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 29 days ago.

I'm absolutely certain they're Fordyce spots and they can occur anywhere on the penis

They're basically small blocked oil glands

The Retinol is very effective and usually will rid you of them within a week

I understand your concern so no need to apologize for all your questions

Please click on the 5 star excellent rating icon so I can get credit for my time with you

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
thank you very much for your support are these common then from the pictures i have shown you as they are not raised or white like the ones on the shaft?
I will get some of the Retinol and start using it. Would you recommend to stop using the canesten cream then?
I will then rate you after the reply as excellent as all my questions will have been answered. Thank you again you have really reassured me i am so relieved thank you
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 29 days ago.

They're common and when they occur on the glans they are flatter than on the shaft

You don't need to continue the canesten cream

My pleasure to help and call on me anytime

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Thank you very much for all of your help and support. Much appreciated Dr Chip thank you for your time
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 29 days ago.

You're quite welcome

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
If i send you one more picture as there is a raised area on the foreskin would you be able to have a quick look? Sorry
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 29 days ago.

Sure

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
You will be able to see it near the bottom of the pulled back foreskin not far away from my nail. Hoping this is nothing to worry about either?
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 29 days ago.

Got them

Again not herpes or genital warts--those are also small cysts and nothing to worry about

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Would the Retinol work for that area too?
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Is there a way to prevent the fordyce and cysts occuring?
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Will this conversation remain private? As i would like it confidential please.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 29 days ago.

Yes the Retinol would work there too

The best way to prevent them would be to keep your penis dry--maybe with some talcum powder

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Ok thank you very much i have noticed it is far redder after masturbation as i precum and cum a large amount
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 29 days ago.

Again nothing at all worrisome

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
I will try the Retinol and talcum powder (didnt know it could be used on the glans)
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Will the conversation remain confidential please?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 29 days ago.

Yes--I've made the page private

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Excellent thank you so much im very grateful for your time, knowledge and advice. Excellent ill rate you now.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 29 days ago.

Again--I'm here daily if you should ever need me again

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
I have rated and left you a tip. Thank you very much. I will let you know how i get on with the retinol
Take care
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 29 days ago.

You too and thanks