RUSSTING
RUSSTING, Technician
Experience:  30 years as a TV station tech gives me a unique understanding of digital camera operation and repair.
24675295

Hello, I have a Fuji S4240 with which I havent uploaded photos

Customer Question

Hello, I have a Fuji S4240 with which I haven't uploaded photos to my pc for some time. When I have done so in the past, there has always been an easy to follow prompt from a window which automacilly appears when the camera is connected to my pc. However this time nothing appears on the screen, in fact nothing seems to happen at all. I can't even remember if the camera has to be switched on, or not. I have Fuji's "My Finepix Studio" installed, but I do not know how to navigate on that programme. Please help, XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  RUSSTING replied 4 years ago.

Yes, the camera must powered on. If this solves the problem, please let me know. If not, please continue.

The recent security updates to the Windows operating system and virus protection programs interfere with the camera connections. I have seen many cases where the connection worked one day and would not work the next. Some manual set up may be required to get the camera to connect, even with the My Finepix Studio software installed.

Now, restart your computer. Then with the camera on and connected with the usb cable,on the computer, go to [Start] control panel, ( In Windows 7 select show all options) scanners and cameras and try to connect through the wizard. If unsuccessful, the last place to look is in the device manager. Go to back Control Panel, double click the System icon and select Device Manager. Under the heading Imaging Devices you should find the camera, possibly with a yellow triangle with an exclamation point. Click on Imaging devices (the words will highlight), then go up and click on Action and select "scan for hardware changes". The camera may then appear under the heading. You can also delete it and allow the computer to try to provide the correct driver. If you are trying to use the My Finepix Studio software, open the program and try to connect.

While not the most popular suggestion, this one depending on your computer configuration may be the only way around the problem and one of the two cameras photos may need to downloaded as follows. As an alternative, because of multiple compatibility issues with the camera connections and current operating systems, my other suggestion is to get an inexpensive usb memory card reader. You can take your memory card from the camera and plug it into the computer. The card will show up as a removable drive in "My Computer" and you can copy the photo files to a folder on your hard drive and view and print them from Windows or even transfer them from the card into the My Finepix Studio software. Personally, I prefer this method due to the simplicity and reduced wear and tear on the camera.

Please keep in mind that my diagnosis & solutions provided are directly dependent on the accuracy of your description of the problem. As with any "do it yourself" fixes, success is a "team effort", since I can't see or touch the camera, and relies on the customer's manual dexterity and ability to follow the instructions well.

If you require additional information, please use the Reply to Expert Tab to contact me. Click the ratings only after our exchange is complete and you are satisfied.

If, and only if my answer to your question is helpful and you are Satisfied with it, please leave Positive Feedback. Thank you