Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

I HAVE 2 ???S 1/ wHILST ON HOLIDAY, i HAD MESSAGE SAYING

Customer Question

I HAVE 2 ???S

1/ wHILST ON HOLIDAY, i HAD MESSAGE SAYING THAT THE LENS CAO WAS STILL ON [I WAS ACTUALLY HOLDING IT IN MY HAND AND THERE WAS NO LENS CAP ON. IT WOULDNT TAKE PHOTOS FOR A WHILE AND THE JUST STARTED AGAIN. THIS HAPPENED A FEW TIMES. WHAT WAS THAT ALL ABOUT??? MY CAMERA IS A FINEPIX S6800 AND BRAND NEW.
IT WAS NOT GOOD!!!

2/ THIS IS MORE OF A HORROR STORY..................I TOOK 900 ODD PHOTOS ON THAT HOLIDAY. IT WAS SPECIAL BECAUSE MY HUSBAND IS VERY ILL AND 77 YEARS OLD. THE HOLIDAY WAS A CRUISE TO THE NORWEGIAN FIORD ON THE QUEEN ELIZABETH. IT WAS TO BE OUR LAST TIME TOGETHER!!!!!!!!!
A FEW OF THE PICTURES ARE OK BUT THE FIRST FEW AND THE LAST LOT CANT BE OPENED. THEY SHOWED ON MY COMPUTER WITH A LOGO AND FILE NUMBER BUT NOTHING MORE HAPPENED. THE MEMORY CARD IS WITH A PHOTOGRAPHIC SHOP IN TOWN AT THIS MINUTE BUT THEY ARENT HAVING ANY LUCK OPENING THEM.
THEY ARE
DSCF NUMBERS AND ARE JPG SEEMINGLY.....I AM NOT AN EXPERT. WE HAVE '''LOST'''' 900 ODD VERY IMPORTANT PHOTOS AND WE ARE GUTTED.
I AM HOPING THAT YOU CAN SEE WHAT HAS HAPPENED AND HAVE A SOLUTION
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Try again, to get the photos from the camera onto the computer, I advise.

But if they are corrupted on the memory card (and are really located nowhere else in the camera's memory), then that, along with the other problem, indicates that you have a 'lemon' of a camera (to my view), and you ought to get it turned back in to FujiFilm UK for service or preferably replacement under their warranty provisions.

http://camerarepair.fujifilm.co.uk/
is where to go to start the return-and-repair-or-replace process.

I am sorry I cannot offer a more hopeful view of the case myself. In case another Expert has a differing opinion to offer, I have Opted Out, which opens the case to other Experts in this category (in case they have something more hopeful to offer) at no extra charge to you.

- If there is anything lacking in this answer, please " Reply " letting me know, and I will try to improve upon my answer.
- If this is the Answer that helps with the issue, then rating my Answer positively would be appreciated.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I can get them onto the computer but cannot open them.....However, about 50 of them do open and I can see those but that batch of ok pictures are in the middle of the ones taken....weird!!!!

If I go into 'MY PICTURES, I get 900 logos with file numbers underneath. I can open about 50 of them in the middle of the batch. They are fine. Its the other 800 odd that I need to see.

My husband had just had very major heart surgery followed by a cancer operation and he is 77. This is /was our last holiday together to the Norwegian Fiords. It is such a disappointment not to be able to see the photos.

Have I explained the situation better? I am not an expert so it isnt easy.

Do the logos, on the picture files that don't open, look the same as the logos on the pictures that can be viewed and do open OK ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi.....the memory card is still with the shop where i took it for them to try to solve this. When they showed me what they had it was the pictures that I have mentioned. The ones that I have on my computer are all the same logo they are DSCF files and the logo is a mountain,blue skies and a lake.....Any help??? I am waiting to hear more from the shop

I cant open ANY photos now...they are all just logos and no action...I could open the 50 before!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAGH

Expert:  adamd-mod replied 3 years ago.

It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thanks for your patience,

Adam

I am sorry I did not respond sooner - I was unavoidably offline for a time.

DSCF files are commonly openable with e.g. MS Paint, which you will have on your Windows computer. Try it with one or two of the files in question:

Go to
Start button - [All] Programs - Accessories - Paint
which will open the MS Paint program.
Then go to
File - Open
in the menuing system at the upper left of the program window, and select the file to open.
Then click on the Open button to try to open the file.

Can you view the pictures with MS Paint, in this manner, or not?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi......sorry just picked up your message............tries Paint but it said

'Not a valid bitmap or its format is unsupported'

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I wonder [because I have 'Vista' ], whether i get the memory card back and try it in another computer....my husband has Windows XP. Maybe it has different means of opening pictures in this format. I will pick it up from the shop tomorrow.

Is there any software, for example, that would be able to sort this out.

Expert:  hongkongpom replied 3 years ago.

Hello there,

I am very sorry to hear about the loss of your precious photos.

You mentioned that the camera shop also can't open those pictures so it seems that something has been corrupted on the memory card itself.

There are a few programmes that you can try out. I have listed the best free and paid for with try before you buy.

The free one is here or here

The paid one is here or here

Unfortunately nothing is 100% guaranteed as vital parts of the image files on the memory card may be destroyed.

A caveat is to insert the card into your computer once the software is installed. That is to make sure that nothing is written to your card by mistake which will make things worse. I recommend that you install one & try it out. I recommend that you try the free ones first. Please make sure that you install one and then if it doesn't work, uninstall it and try the next. This is to make sure that you don't have more than one recovery programme working at once.

If the MS Paint program produced the error message you cited, then indeed (as I speculated previously) the image files are corrupted, by either a degradation of the memory card, or possibly the camera itself going rogue and either producing defective image files, or corrupting the ones produced, or both.

The images corrupted may be lost forever, though it is a shame to have to say it.

And the camera is probably a 'lemon', as I said, and should not be used any more. But if the memory card is all that is at fault, testing may reveal that - by taking a large number of test photographs with a new memory card or another memory card.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi...if I use a recovery programme, is there a chance that it will damage card further??

Also, I seem to have the files on my computer but cannot open them SOOOOOOOOO would a recovery programme open these......it would save messing about with the card itself and I could put them on a disc or print them off

I cannot speak for what a recovery program might do. (But further damage to the card won't necessarily hurt anything, that isn't already broken.)

I concede to my fellow Expert who recommended the recovery programs, to speak as to whether they could hurt the card, in any detail.

I advise that you NOT use a recovery program on the copies on your computer.