RUSSTING
RUSSTING, Technician
Experience:  30 years as a TV station tech gives me a unique understanding of digital camera operation and repair.
24675295

I have a Panasonic Lumix TZ30 camera and an iMac desktop computer.

Customer Question

I have a Panasonic Lumix TZ30 camera and an iMac desktop computer. I wish to transfer my camera's little video clips on to the computer but don't seem able to do it. Previously I used my earlier Panasonic Lumix TZ10 camera and had no difficulty transferring those clips on to my computer. Why is there a problem with the TZ30 ? On the Internet reference is made to my needing a FireWire connecting lead as, they claim, my USB cable won't work. Honestly know very little about computers so in any reply please use your most basic explanatory notes or I won't understand - Sorry !!
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  RUSSTING replied 4 years ago.

The DMC-TZ-30 creates AVCHD Lite video files with a (.mts) extension which are not recognized as conventional video and are sometimes hidden a couple of levels down in a folder named Private.

On a Mac, you need to use at least Imovie 9 to work with these files. Please see the links below. Click on or copy and paste the link into your browser.

http://www.apple.com/findouthow/movies/

All of the Lumix models produce the same AVCHD files. The additional information at the following link may be helpful.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2726

If you require additional information, please use the Reply to Expert to contact me. Click the ratings only after our exchange is complete and you are satisfied.

If, and only if my answer to your question is helpful and you are Satisfied with it, please leave Positive Feedback. Thank you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I think the problem lies with my total ignorance of computers and camera linkage. I've tried both links you supplied and watching the motion instructions makes it all sound easy. Probably with my TZ10 that was what I did without a problem. However, after the instruction to plug my camera into my computer, the picture which appears on the clip is not what comes up on my iMac. Mine just comes up with all my recently added photos in which are included the video clips (without motion obviously). I want these taken out of iPhoto and put into iMovie but I can't do it. Any ideas?

Expert:  RUSSTING replied 4 years ago.
You will need to go to finder, get the files and drag them to Imovie.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

In desperation I have been both to a camera shop and then to P C World to try and get this sorted out. Basically I have had to buy a card reader, insert the little memory card. Up should come a 'No Name" heading. I am then supposed to click on that which will then display 3 boxes, one with a Q in it and the word 'Private'. By clicking on the 'Private' box my video clips are supposed to appear - this does not happen. In fact clicking on the 'No Name' heading just opens up the iPhotos - no sign of the video clips. So now what do I do?

Expert:  RUSSTING replied 4 years ago.
I am sorry for the delay. The site did not notify me by email of your reply.

In Finder use the "Show Contents" option in the Private folder to display the video files.