Rick
Rick, Technician
Experience:  I'm a photographic equipment technician with over 25 years in the business
47133069

Canon XM2. I am advised that there are two known problems with

Customer Question

Canon XM2. I am advised that there are two known problems with this camcorder.
1. Tape Rewind
2. Electronics Board
I am considering replacing my XM1 with the XM2 (XM1 no longer supported by Canon)
Comments & and advice on the above please
Ridley Nichol
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Rick replied 4 years ago.

Hi. My name is Rick. I'm a camera repair technician with over 20 years in the business and I'll be glad to help you with your question today.

You may want to think twice about upgrading to the XM2. The Canon GL2 is the American equivalent of the XM2 and it is no longer supported by Canon as well.

I've had many of these on the bench for repair and the only real problem they have in common is tape mechanism failure. This is common with all camcorders.

For about the same price, you get a smaller HD camcorder with great options.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I want a 3ccd camcorder. Which camcorders satisfy the quality of the canon image yet don't have the previous discussed problems?

Expert:  Rick replied 4 years ago.

for about the same price you can get the Canon XL2. It is a more professional camera with many more features including interchangeable lenses.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Rick

Unfortunately the XL2 is considerably more expensive in Europe.

I had dismissed that camcorder because of its weight and its bulkier.

Ridley

Expert:  Rick replied 4 years ago.

Hi Ridley.

Any 3CCD camera is going to be considerably more expensive.

The XM2 is still a good camcorder. The only drawback is, if it should break down, parts can no longer be obtained from Canon. They can ,however, still be obtained from outside sources like EBay.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Rick

One last question.

As you know, I have Canon XM1.

From the other big three, Panasonic, Sony & JVC, can you suggest a 3ccd model that I can replace my XM1 with. My problem is that I have a limited budget but still need a camcorder that is still supported by the manufacturer.

Expert:  Rick replied 4 years ago.
Of the three manufacturers you mentioned, there are many 3CCD cameras and I don't have access to all models for testing. Most of these are priced above $1000. JVC does have one that is touted as "The Worlds Smallest 3CCD camcorder". It's the model GMZ500 priced used from $120.