Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

Can you please help me with problems with a Canon IP1300 printer

Customer Question

Can you please help me with problems with a Canon IP1300 printer which when I go to print my pictures from my Canon A650 Camera says that I need to contact the service centre because the ink absorber is almost full. What is the ink absorber, how I can empty it and get my printer working again please.
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

The ink absorber is a pad or set of pads deep down inside the printer, that the waste ink from the printing process gets sopped up by. A sort of sump for waste ink, in short.

After a given number of pages (a fairly large one, and I can tell from that and from the model # of your printer, that it is at least several years in-use) the ink absorber message turns on.
There are some choices here:
1. ignore the message (and get it turned Off, which can be done, see below) and let the ink soak into the printer until either the ink system clogs up, or the waste ink overflows from the printer and proves a real nuisance.
or
2. get the message turned Off and the printer working again - for now - but also get the ink absorber pads replaced.
or
3. get the ink absorber pads replaced now, and the message turned Off also.
or
4. dispose of the printer (hopefully by recycling it) and replace it with a new (or, newer) one.

(2) and (3) have a sub-choice: either (a) replace the ink pads yourself, or (b) get a shop to replace them.

(a) has less expense and more trouble and requires tools and effort (several hours probably, or perhaps more depending upon your expertise with disassembly and repairs); (b) is more expensive.

Let me know what option or options you need more details about - or, if you can think of another option yourself, let me know. Thanks.

- If there is anything lacking in this answer, please " Reply " letting me know, and I will try to improve upon my answer.
- If this is the Answer that helps with the issue, then rating my Answer positively would be appreciated.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I've now had a go at cleaning the absorbers with q tips. How do I go about turning the message off. I get the impression you don't think that getting the printer repaired is a viable option. The only reason I have this printer is that it produces (when it was working properly really good quality photos). So if I take your advice & replace the printer which do you think would be the best canon model to buy - I don't want to do anything fancy just print good photographs please.

I do not mean to say that replacing the printer is the best course. It's entirely up to you.

Do you have any ink cartridges in-stock? if you have several packs of them put away for use with this printer, then for one, it would be better to repair this printer, and for another, it would be good from a standpoint of economy to replace it with one that takes the same inks (if possible.)
In short, if you have ink cartridges already, what type and number are they?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have genuine Canon PG40 Pixma Black and CL-41 Chromalife 100 Colour, both well in date. I also have an HP printer with HP20 & HP21 inks but I find that the photos come out too dark.

The compatible printer models for CL-41 Chromalife are (all Canon-made):

BJC-150, BJC-300, BJC-450D; imageRUNNER: 1600, 2200; LBP-460, NP6220, PC160, PC170, PC310; PIXMA: iP1200, iP1300, iP1600, iP1700, iP1800, iP1900, iP2000, iP2200, iP2500, iP2600, iP6210D, iP6220D, iP6310D, MP140, MP150, MP160, MP170, MP180, MP190, MP210, MP220, MP450, MP460, MP470, MX300, MX310.

(-Some of those may not be photo printers.)

The compatible printer models for PG40 Black are (all Canon-made):

PIXMA iP1300, PIXMA iP1600, PIXMA iP1700, PIXMA iP1800, PIXMA iP1900, PIXMA iP2600, PIXMA MP150, PIXMA MP160, PIXMA MP170, PIXMA MP180, PIXMA MP450, PIXMA MP460, PIXUS iP2500

(There are some other compatible models for the PG40 Black, but they are not photo printers.)

Those all sound like fairly classic model numbers to me, so finding a new one of that school might be a little hard to do. However, I haven't looked up all the model numbers individually, so some of them might still be being sold new.