Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

canon 5d II i seem to have a problem with my quick control

Customer Question

canon 5d II
i seem to have a problem with my quick control button. When I press it to activate the blue light icon to select icons it doesn't appear to work. The joystick works fine in program and auto but not in TV, AV or manual. Appreciate if you could help
Dave Dennett
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Russell H. replied 4 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

How old is the camera? in months or years since you bought it.

Has the camera been dropped or otherwise subjected to mechanical shock(s) in its lifetime?
Has the camera been operated in or subjected to, temperatures below 32 degrees F (freezing point) or above about 100 degrees F ?
Has it ever been subjected to a humidity higher than 85 % ?

Has the camera been operated in a gritty or sandy environment, such as a beach, a seaside, a construction site, or the like?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The camera is roughly 2 years old, I have had it for about 6 months with no problems at all. The camera has always worked perfectly so I don't think it has been dropped or subjected to mechanical shock or operated in a gritty or sandy environment. I had only been using it the day before when I took it out of my bag and found the quick control was not working - it's a mystery

It is good to hear that you have been taking care of your camera.

Perhaps ESD (electrostatic discharge) got into the camera and fouled up the electronic works a bit. Sometimes you can reset or dissipate the effects of static discharge into electronic equipment like this (which incidentally is caused mostly by either wool clothes, which accumulate static electricity readily in all conditions, or by glass sheeting, which isn't compatible with electronic devices because of its tendency to isolate and accumulate static charge...) by taking out the batteries while the device is On, then leaving the device that way overnight, then putting the batteries back in and trying it again.

If after that, the camera still doesn't work, and if you are certain grit or grease or anything else including water and other liquids hasn't gotten into the quick control button or the other works... then your camera will unfortunately need servicing to continue to be usable.
At 2 years old, your camera is out of warranty (unless you bought an Extended Warranty Plan or an Extended Service Plan with it) and repairs would have to be paid for by you, out-of-pocket and in full.

To contact Canon UK about repair - which should include an estimate of the cost of repair before repair actually starts, for your authorization of the expense - start by going to
http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/Consumer_Products/services_locator/index.aspx
and then choosing
Digital SLR Camera
in the choice control for 'Product Group', then click on the Search button. That will locate the nearest service center (which I think you can either mail or ship your camera to, or else if convenient you may be able to bring it in in-person, though I am not sure of that. Call first, if planning to try that, of course.)

For the details of the whole repair process, see
http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/Consumer_Products/Repair_Process.aspx

- If there is anything lacking in this answer, please " Reply " letting me know, and I will try to improve upon my answer.
- If this is the Answer that helps with the issue, then rating my Answer positively would be appreciated.