RUSSTING
RUSSTING, Technician
Experience:  30 years as a TV station tech gives me a unique understanding of digital camera operation and repair.
24675295

IXUS 950 IS I have dropped it in the riveer while fishing

Customer Question

IXUS 950 IS

I have dropped it in the riveer while fishing and have tried to dry it out in airing cupboard, but it still will not operate. it was in only a few seconds.
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  RUSSTING replied 3 years ago.

Depending on how wet the camera was, it has probably not been sitting long enough for all of the internal parts to be completely dry. Rice drying is a good idea, but it can take as long as 3 to 5 days to remove the internal moisture that can harm the internal parts if it is sealed in a ZipLock type bag with the rice. Your efforts may also be ineffective if you do not remove the memory card and battery. When you are sure that the camera is dry, clean the contacts, battery compartment, lens & camera body, to remove any remaining moisture and help arrest corrosion. Do not try to turn it on again without the extended drying time since the processor board can be damaged by a short circuit. When you are ready to power it on start with the camera body only. add the memory card as the next step, then the lens. There is still only about a 25% chance that the camera will operate correctly without major service.

While it is possible to have your camera repaired, it is a toss up as to if it is cost effective for you. Considering the age and present value of this camera, paying the cost of having it repaired , approximately £80 really depends on how attached to the camera you are. The standard "rule of thumb" is if the repair cost is greater than 50% of the value of the camera, it is not worth it. A good used or refurbished Canon IXUS 950 IS can be purchased for as low as £50 (used) - $95 (Like New)

Please keep in mind that my diagnosis & solutions provided are directly
dependent on the accuracy of your description of the problem. As with
any "do it yourself" fixes, success is a "team effort", since I can't
see or touch the camera
, and relies on the customer's manual dexterity
and ability to follow the instructions well.

If you require additional information, please use the Reply to Expert
Tab to contact me. Click the ratings only after our exchange is
complete and you are satisfied.

If, and only if my answer to your question is helpful and you are
Satisfied with it, please leave Positive Feedback. Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It still has no juice in it so am waiting for the 5 days you mention is up before contacting you again. The battery and sim card appear to be dry. I have put it in a bag with some silica gel. I might charge the battery up. Have you any more comments?

Expert:  RUSSTING replied 3 years ago.
You should definitely recharge the battery, once completely dry before trying to power up again. Please note how the battery/charger indicators respond during the process.