RUSSTING
RUSSTING, Technician
Experience:  30 years as a TV station tech gives me a unique understanding of digital camera operation and repair.
24675295

I have a canon eos 400d. today I removed the cf card to transfer

Customer Question

I have a canon eos 400d. today I removed the cf card to transfer images to my pc. No problems until I tried to reinstall the card back into my camera, I got an error message that said there was a problem with the card and to change it, this I did but got the same error. Both cards work OK in my pc. On checking the card slot on my camera I noticed the centre pin in the card receptor slot was leaning to one side. Is this a common problem and is it repairable if so how much approximately to repair. Kind regards XXXXX
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  RUSSTING replied 3 years ago.

This problem does occur occasionally. Some users are able to, with the battery removed, use a small insturment, like a screwdriver or small needlenose plyers to straigthen the pin. If not, the card reader connector will need to be replaced. A repair of this type costs around £110 at one of the service centers at the link below.

http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/Consumer_Products/services_locator/index.aspx

If you would like to make an attempt yourself to disassemble the camera and try to fix the pin, here is a link to a copy of the service manual.

http://issuu.com/anhtran/docs/canon-eos-40d-service-manual-repair-guide

Please keep in mind that my diagnosis & solutions provided are directly dependent on the accuracy of your description of the problem. As with any "do it yourself" fixes, success is a "team effort", since I can't see or touch the camera, and relies on the customer's manual dexterity and ability to follow the instructions well.

If you require additional information, please use the Reply to Expert Tab to contact me. Click the ratings only after our exchange is complete and you are satisfied.

If, and only if my answer to your question is helpful and you are Satisfied with it, please leave Positive Feedback. Thank you