Richard, Technician
Experience:  10+ yrs. experience working on all forms of electronics and cameras both film and digital.
46422908

i have a canon eos 400d camera and the automatic flash does

Customer Question

i have a canon eos 400d camera and the automatic flash does not pop up when taking picturesin poor light. i keep getting the error eo5 warning telling me that it is blocked and to switch off and back on again. however this does not work. i have also taken the battery out and put it back to no avail.
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
Hi. My nsme is Rick and I am a digital camera professional.

I would be happy to help you find the cause of your problem. Give this a try first and let me know how it goes.

Lets remove the battery from the camera and then press and hold the power (on/off) button or switch for 1 minute. Than release the button, put a fully charged battery back in and see if it fixes it. Let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hi rick

im afraid that didnt work. and the battery was fully charged last night.

the pop up flash actually seems to be locked shut!

Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
Ok. That does tell me a lot. The EOS 400d has a tiny sensor in it that triggers the locking mechanism for the flash and if that rest does not correct it, the sensor has gone bad and that is why it is not poping up and giving you that error.
The only way to correct this is to have the camera opened up and this sensor replaced. If your camera is less than 1 year old Canon will do it under the warranty. If not any local shop can do it for you. The cost will be about $100 and a bit more if you send it to Canon out of warranty due to the shipping cost.
I am sorry for the bad news but if you have further questions on this please let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thanks rick

thats not what i wanted to hear

Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
You are very welcome. Believe me its not what I wanted to say either but sadly it is the only answer. Thanks for coming to us and if I can ever help again please let me know. Please do the ratings and have a great day or in your case a great evening.