Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Engineer
Experience:  B.S. Electrical & Computer Engineering, 20+ years technical experience
7043301

I have a Canon 500D camera and used to download photos from

Customer Question

I have a Canon 500D camera and used to download photos from the sd card by inserting it into a card reader and a screen would pop up from which I would select a Canon program to download the photos on the card to a pre decided folder. The software sorted the photos into folders within the main folders based on the date a photo was taken. I recently reset my computer to factory settings (Windows 7). I can't find an original cd of software and have downloaded ksd282a and installed it. I can't find a way to download photos direct from the sd card. If I connect the whole camera via usb it works fine. Is there a way to get the software to download from the sd card directly as it used to? xxxxxx xxxxxxxx.

Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Dan :

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be working with you today on your question!

Dr. Dan :

While we might not be able to find exactly the Canon software that you are looking for, might I recommend an alternative that may work better?

Dr. Dan :

I would highly recommend Google's Picasa (http://www.google.com/picasa) that is a free photo manager software by Google

Dr. Dan :

You can import directly from your SD card and Picasa manages and scans for all your photos anywhere on your computer

Dr. Dan :

I have my images in folders by year > month

Dr. Dan :

Let me know if that helps!

Dr. Dan :

If it does please take a moment to rate our interaction to close this question.

Dr. Dan :

If you have further questions, please feel free to ask them below and I will gladly continue to assist you!

Dr. Dan :

Dr. Dan :

Dan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I already have Picasa but don't use it do load photos from the Canon sd card. I want to be able to use the Canon software to load photos directly from the sd card so that it fits in with file organisation of my old photos that were previously downloaded by Canon software.

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 4 years ago.

No problem. In that case you can try to download the Canon utilities under Drivers and Software under the Canon 500D camera page here:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/eos_slr_camera_systems/eos_digital_slr_cameras/eos_rebel_t1i#DriversAndSoftware

It's likely ImageBrowser and EOS utility that you were using, so I would download and install both of those.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It won't allow me to download the software without a previous version installed. Thank you for trying. I'm off to bed now.

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 4 years ago.
Try downloading the software download titled: "EOS Digital Solution Disk Software 28.2A for Windows" rather than the updater. That should have the full suite and essentially is the disc from what was bundled originally with the camera.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

That downloads ksd282a which I mentioned that I had tried in my original query.

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 4 years ago.
Hi Colin,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

If it did please take a moment to rate our interaction to close this question.

Dan