Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

I have an Olympus OM10, which is about 20-30 years old. It

Customer Question

I have an Olympus OM10, which is about 20-30 years old. It has recently come into my possesion, so I have used it much. I have taken some photos with it, but for some reason, the shutter release button seems to be jammed. I have checked online, but nothing really helpful has come up!
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

The basic facts of your case are:
1. a camera that is undoubtedly based upon mechanical-and-film, rather than digital-and-memory, technology.
2. a jammed shutter or shutter button.

As to (2), you may be able to distinguish between whether the button is jammed (no click when pressed, stuck in the down position, versus clicks when pressed down and comes up again) as opposed to a stuck shutter. I am assuming that since you say the shutter button is jammed, it is jammed, and not the shutter.

If your specific model of Olympus OM-series camera has a 'mechanical shutter' setting, try changing to that setting, it might release the jam.
Then, *if* (and I doubt it) your Olympus camera has a reset button in the lower left corner of the lens mount, try pressing that, and then hold it down, while rotating the manual shutter speed ring until the reset mark is aligned with the red triangle on the lens mount (then release the reset button.)

If the above two fail to work, then you might have a locked up advance lever (which, owing to double-exposure blocking, can jam the shutter button, as I recollect seeing even in very sub-Olympus cameras of about 15 years prior to your camera's vintage.)

Let me know what you think - this is only an initial effort at an Answer to your question, and I will have further advice to offer, even if the above does not help.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I actually think that the shutter might be stuck, not jammed. also my version doesn't have a reset button.
I have no suggestion for this case, then, except to recommend taking it to a good local camera shop, or (if you wish) sending it to Olympus UK for repair (if they will repair a camera this old.)

http://www.olympus.co.uk/site/en/c/cameras_support/repair_service/repair_handling/index.html
is the link for Olympus UK repairs.

As for a local shop, let me know your locale by postal code, or by city and county, and I will advise you.

- If there is anything lacking in this answer, please " Reply " letting me know, and I will try to improve upon my answer.
- If this is the Answer that helps with the issue, then rating my Answer positively would be appreciated.