Richard, Camera Repair
Experience:  Camera Repairman
32989067

Hi, I have a Canon 40D plus 17 - 85 USM lens. Intermittantly

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Canon 40D plus 17 - 85 USM lens. Intermittantly it refuses and displays Err 1,
saying the lens has lost contact with the camera and to clean the contacts, this I do frequently and thoroughly but it does not cure the problem. The fault does not occur with my 75 - 300 mm USM which leads me to assume the problem is with the lens and not the camera. What do you recommend please.
Peter Dorney, Dublin(NNN) NNN-NNNN
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is Richard.

It does appear to be a fault with the Lens.

If you put another Lens on the camera, does it then work ok Peter?

And did you buy the Lens second hand or new?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

As stated my 75 - 300 USM lens does not display this fault and the camera and lenses were all bought new from 7day shop about 5 years ago

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Sorry Peter, I needed to clarify as I did see you state that, but wanted to make sure you used it on the same camera.

It is going to e the Lens that is faulting, we now know this as you confirmed other lens do not cause the issue, ruling out the camera at fault.

It is either a voltage issue, or the chip within the lens malfunctioning.

Unfortunately, this means the lens needs to be replaced (this cannot be repaired due to the manner they make these) and 5 years ago will mean there is no warranty.

Though you did get very good use from it, as I see this problem starting generally after the 3 year mark.

But the Lens will need to be replaced sorry.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Bad news, OK thank you. I guess that is the end of the matter, P

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry Peter, but yes it is.

These Lens are made once, and not to be repaired, open ect (like most things these days).

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.