Jonathan Jewell
Jonathan Jewell, University Lecturer in Computer Science
Experience:  Qualified in psychology then converted to computer science. MSc Cognitive and Decision Sciences now teaching pervasive computing.
75936951

1 Ds Mk2 no longer capable of remote shooting. When opened,

Customer Question

1 Ds Mk2 no longer capable of remote shooting. When opened, the Utilities software does not offer the option (greyed out) - just the Monitor folder. (both XP and W7)
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Jonathan Jewell replied 3 years ago.
Hi, I'm hopefully going to be able to diagnose this with you, but it is a bit out of my field, so welcome any of the other experts to take over if they are more experienced (just don't want to leave you hanging!).

I presume that you have turned it off, left it for 30 seconds - 1 minute and restarted? I'm assuming your power supply or battery levels are full. I'm also assuming you haven't dropped the thing!

Are you happy to start with a full reset? If you do, you'll lose all your settings BUT you might find that any conflicts are removed. If so, try it and see whether this resolves it. If not, get back in touch, and we'll try some further diagnostic work on it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Jonathan J,

I have restored the camera to its default menu settings but to no avail. Eos Utility > control camera > still only permits 'Monitor Folder' ('Camera Settings/Remote Shooting' greyed out). The camera has not been damaged but has not been used for remote shooting for several years since I bought a 5D Mk 2. In other respects it functions normally though it has also stopped actuating specialized non-Canon flash on Manual settings. (I run a photomicrographic laboratory - Google <spike walker>!)

Spike.

Question - are you using a remote cord with your camera or a transponder unit (i.e. a little remote control that fits into the camera by a cable)? i.e. what device are you using for remote shooting?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The camera is linked to my computer via a USB cable. There appears to be no problem with this arrangement since 'remote shooting' works perfectly when I replace the 1Ds Mk 2 with a 5D Mk ll.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I cannot rate it because you have not yet answered the question - just asked for more information about the technical background to it! Spike.