Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

When I turn on my canon ImagePress C1+ printer it stays in

Customer Question

When I turn on my canon ImagePress C1+ printer it stays in warmimng up state and never gets ready. what is wrong? how can I fix it?
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Please tell me the following two details about your ImagePress printer, before I pronounce an opinion on the matter:

- How old is the printer? measured from its date of purchase as a new device.
- What is the exact and full message the printer has on it, during the warming up state, please?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The printer is six years old.

It only says "warming up". No other message(s).

Offhand, I would say that being stuck in the warming up mode, for any laser printer, signifies that the fuser needs replacing (if not simply some part of it.)

The fuser has to be heated for pages to be printed or copied. Fusing is the last stage in laser-type printing: when the paper, with toner dust upon it in the proper pattern, passes through heated rollers (the fuser) which heat it briefly and hot enough to 'melt' the toner onto the page, thus fusing it with the paper.

After having this machine On for some time, say 10 minutes, turn it Off, and then open the machine to the end of the paper path (-since fusing is the last stage is laser printing, the fuser is always at the end of the path the paper travels through the printer - essentially, it is next to the output tray of the machine), and - being careful not to touch any part of the fuser, lest you burn yourself - feel above the fuser, as to whether it is hot or not.

- If not heated up any ("cold fuser"), then you have a defect in either the thermal fuse (which blows to protect the heating element), or the heating element, or more rarely the power supply or the connection of the heating voltage to the heating element... the heating element is inside the metallic roller in the fuser, incidentally.)

- If heated up, then you have a defective thermostat or thermal sensor (or rarely, a bad connection of the thermostat or thermal sensor to the control board that processes its signals and switches the heating voltage accordingly. Or, rarely, the control board is defective.)

In this specific model, the persistence of the 'warming up' message is interpreted as - on occasion - a failure of the scanner bulb to warm up, before the scanner is used to make copies or scan an original document. So if the fuser is hot, then you may also have a defect in the scanner bulb, or the circuitry sensing its status or feeding it with voltage.

Let me know if I may advise you further. Thanks.

Please rate my Answer - favorably I hope - so that I may be paid for the time I have spent on your question.