Viet - Camera Tech
Viet - Camera Tech, Technician
Experience:  Troubleshoot digital cameras.
30037186

I have a Canon G10 with a 4 GB ScanDisk ExtreemIII memory card.

I have a Canon G10 with a 4 GB ScanDisk ExtreemIII memory card. This contains a number of pictures that I can see when I insert it into my computer. When it is loaded in the camera, it shows "No Memory Card" when I switch it on. I have tried the 16GB ScanDisk ExtreemIII memory card from my wife's IXUS and get the same message. However, when I tried an old Canon SD 16M memory card, the camera saw it and I was able to take one photo before getting the message "Memory Card Full". Can you suggest what may be wrong and what I should do about it.
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Viet - Camera Tech replied 3 years ago.
Hello! Thank you for your question. I will be assisting you today.

I'm sorry about the issue. Do you mean both the sandisk 4GB and 16GB memory cards are not working?

Can you copy / transfer pictures to the computer, then format the memory cards first?

Please let me know. Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I can seethe pictures on my computer, so I assume they could be transferred. Are you suggesting that I should re-format the memory card on the computer, as I obviously can't do it with the camera.

Yes, please transfer pictures to the computer, then format on the computer, then check. If needed, after inserting the card to the camera, go to menu/settings, and check around for the format/erase option, thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have re-formatted the card on my computer and put it back in the camera. I then re-formatted it there and it now seems to work. What do you think might have caused this problem, and why does it also apply to the card from my wife's IXUS? It seems to me to be more likely to be a problem with the camera rather than the card. what do you think?

Great. You must format the card within the camera you want to use (if you switch the memory to another camera model; it might not be compatible, you have to format within the other camera first.) So don't worry, there is nothing with the camera; it's just that cameras use different formatting methods.

If you have any further question, please let me know. Also, can you please take a moment to rate my service below. Thank you,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

But the memory card has only been used in this camera (and read on my computer), so why might it have suddenly become un-readable?

Sorry; did you make any change on the memory card when inserting it to the computer? It could be just a glitch. Please take a couple of pictures, then transfer to the computer, then confirm if the memory card still works on the camera. Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have done that and all seems to have returned to normal. "Just a glitch" is not a very satisfactory reply. Does this sort of situation happen often and should I expect it to happen again?

I'm sorry, I was not clear. Since the old memory card works, then if this issue keeps happening again, then the newer memory card has issue. But in these situations I've encountered previously, the issues were resolved completely by reformatting, and it did not occur again (maybe for a pretty long time, i.e., memory is corrupted, it needs to be refreshed/reformatted after using it for a long time.) If needed, test both the 4GB and 16GB memory cards to confirm. You can get back to me any time if there is still any issue or if you have any further question. Thank you,