Richard, Technician
Experience:  10+ yrs. experience working on all forms of electronics and cameras both film and digital.
46422908

My canon sx50hs seems to be ticking. Maybe the lens motor is

My canon sx50hs seems to be ticking. Maybe the lens motor is moving slightly. Why is this?
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
Hi. My nsme is Rick and I am a digital camera professional.

Give this a try first and let me know if it helps.

Lets remove the battery from the camera and then press and hold the power (on/off) button for 1 minute. Than release the button, put a fully charged battery back in and see if it fixes it. Let me know how it goes. While you have the battery out clean the terminals in the compartment and also remove the storage card if you have one in the camera.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Rick

I did exactly as you suggested but it made no difference. The lens motor still appears to be making minute movements, I think both forward and backward, causing a tick tick sound.

Andy

Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
Thanks Andy. With this problem it would be rare fore that reset to help but I did want to try it.
What has happened is the servo motor that controls the lens movement has become stuck and this is why you are getting the clicking sound, it is a tiny gear slipping.
You will need to have a camera shop take the camera apart and un jam this motor. I would recomend you turn off the camera and remove the battery until you get this done so you don't do any further damage to the gear or the motor.
If by chance the camera is less than 1 year old You can have Canon do it under the warranty, otherwise this repair will cost about $75 if the gear or motor are not damaged and about $150 if they need to be replaced.
I am sorry for the bad news but if I can help further with this please let me know.