Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

Ive already asked a question and you are asking me again.

I've already asked a question and you are asking me again. What has happened/
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I can find no record of your other question, if you have one currently posted to JustAnswer.com. Please let me know further details, so that I can assist you. I am sincerely XXXXX XXXXX doing so, if it is at all possible.

Expert:  dianne-cssm replied 3 years ago.
We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address. Please contact customer support at [email protected] co. uk and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you. (http://www.justanswer.co.uk/digital-cameras/86zrz-i-ve-already-asked-question-asking-again.html). Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX Customer Support Team.
Expert:  Rick replied 3 years ago.
Hi. My name isXXXXX a camera repair technician with over 20 years in the business and I'll be glad to help you with your question today.

Could you repeat the question please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Rick/Russell,

I have a Canon 350D camera which I have used capturing jpeg images which I have transferred to my computer. They go into my pictures section in dated folders. I then work on the images using Windows live picture program although I do have a couple of photoshop prorams, which I find complicated. I was recently advised to capture my images in the RAW format. I changed to RAW in the middle of a session. When transferring to computer all the jpeg images were O.K. but the RAW ones did not show an image, only the usual consecutive IMG number. Is there a program, preferably free that I can download without jeopardising my image copyright.

Thank-you,

Martin Hubbard.

Photoshop is indeed complicated, and to be used with caution.

What reason was given for you to photograph in RAW?

What program did you use to transfer the RAW images to your computer?

(And be advised: the RAW images may be just fine, and the image content may still be there... the computer is just showing them as blank or lacking-an-image for its own reasons. In short, the deficiency there may be in the computer, or the transfer program doubtfully, rather than in the RAW images themselves.)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Russell,

The reason I was advised to shoot in RAW was to capture more detail.I used my Devices & Printers program to transfer images to my computer and It has never failed to capture them in jpeg. I suspect I have not got a program which captures RAW. I can see the images on my camera when I review them. I have not deleted them from the camera flashcard.

Regards,

Martin Hubbard.

You interpretation is possibly correct - that you need a RAW-compatible transfer program on your computer.

However, check the RAW files' size: if they are zero size or very small (like 1-2 Kb), then the transfer program in Windows might be at fault. But if they are at least 500 KB and probably several MB perhaps, then the content of them is there for sure, I would say, and you just need a program that renders them (Windows won't, even if the RAW file is actually there, show the content. Try viewing the RAW files in Photoshop - it, I think, has RAW file capability, or at any rate some type of Adobe Photoshop does.)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Russell,

I managed to get an image in my Photoshop Elements 8.0 but to transfer it to my pictures folders I seem to need another program. Possibly an XMP file. I am worried that I seem to need other programs which claim to be free, but when I read the terms, it talks about purchasing. I am afraid of getting caught out as no fee is mentioned. As you have probably guessed, I am not as computer literate as I would like to be.

Regards,

Martin.

Was your Photoshop obtained from a legitimate source?

If there is an issue of doubt concerning purchasing something that is also advertised as free, I cannot help you. The only advice I can think of is to contact Adobe about your Elements 8.0 and ask whether
1. it is fully licensed, purchased, authorized, etc.
2. whether an XMP file, to be moved into or saved into your Pictures folder, needs some sort of add-on or needs some addition to the program to be purchased.

I myself doubt that (2) could possibly be. But I might be wrong, either in general or in your case.

If you would prefer a different Expert work on this case - at no extra charge to you, I assure you - then I will Opt Out of this case at your request, opening it to other Experts who might have a more detailed and assuredly right opinion on this.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Russell,

When I originally bought my computer new, I paid extra to have Photoshop installed and it is mentioned & charged for on my bill of sale.

I have not knowingly had any programs installed that are not legitimate.

What made you think that my program was not legitimate, because I will

take it up with the computer manufacturer if it turns out to be illegal

Regards,

Martin Hubbard.

I had to ask about the legitimacy of your Photoshop installation's origins, because the phenomenon you are asking about *might* have been (from here, from my limited viewpoint) have implied some badly configured or adware-afflicted software from a less-than-legit source.

If the computer manufacturer *could* be at fault in this, an inquiry at least might be a good idea.

As for the XMP file issue - I would advise you to not edit in RAW. Once the RAW image is in Photoshop, maybe you should convert it to, and save it as, a JPEG. Edit the JPEG, and the question of XMP files should not come up, I don't think - XMP file issues are often associated with the editing of a RAW file in Photoshop.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Russell,

I'm sorry I haven't replied earlier, but we had a power cut which knocked out my broadband hub for a few days.It would seem that my best bet is to convert the images to jpeg after all but I can't see a method or program which does this. This brings us back to my original question.

Regards,

martin.

Try the Free Online RAW Converter:

http://download.cnet.com/Free-Online-Raw-Converter/3000-12511_4-75617227.html

- to obtain the right thing and steer aside from side-issues on this page:

1. click on Visit Site
2. then click on Continue to Download
3. and so forth.

I hope that helps, and proves workable.
Russell H., Technician
Experience: Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.