Rick
Rick, Technician
Experience:  I'm a photographic equipment technician with over 25 years in the business
47133069

There seems to be a general problem with my Canon Powershot

Customer Question

There seems to be a general problem with my Canon Powershot G9. The symptons are:

1. It keeps showing the handshake sign even when stationary on a table when in any mode.

2. When pressing the shutter button it will not take a picture.

3. In a very short time, after no use, it asks to change the battery pack.

Lionel Sims
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name is Freddy. I look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
Can you explain what you mean by handshaking please? Do you mean it is showing the usb symbol for when it is connected to the computer?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, I mean the handshake symbol on the back screen.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Please remove the battery from the camera.
Then with it removed hold down any button for about 30 seconds.
Then put the battery back in, does anything change?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Still the same.

As before, the flash symbol goes on and off when I try to take a picture - which it does not do.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Can you get into the menus on the camera at all?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Ok since a soft reset did not work the next thing we would need to try is a hard reset.
Go into "Menu" and then into "Tools" (the one under the spanner & hammer logo).

Scroll down and choose the reset all option there.
If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The handshake symbol remains and the flash won't activate when I try to take a picture which requires flash.

It will take a picture outside in daylight.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Are you using an external flash?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, integrated flash.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
If you change the flash mode does the same thing happen?
It is very odd that it will work in light but not in dark which suggests a flash issue.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The flash won't activate in any mode.

When I press the shutter the flash symbol blinks but does not activate in any mode.

The hand shake symbol continues to show when stable on table.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Can you confirm you changed the flash mode itself and not something else like red eye for example?
If so I apologize but I need to opt out and open this to all experts, if someone else has an idea they will reply the same way I have been.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I turned flash off, then back on. I have the mode setting on Auto.

Expert:  adamd-mod replied 2 years ago.

It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thanks for your patience,

Adam

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I would like an answer please, since I paid (I believe) £15 for a problem which has not been solved.

Best wishes,

Lionel

Expert:  adamd-mod replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for replying.

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

If you decide on a refund, or wish to keep the credit for a future question, then of course we'd honour it.

Adam

Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
Hi. My name is Rick. I'm a camera repair technician with over 20 years in the business and I'll be glad to help you with your question today.

The Hand symbol on the display usually just means the image stabilizer is turned on and functioning. This is normal and you can choose a menu option to turn it off.

The power drain, however, is another issue. This can be caused by a faulty flash circuit or main board and will take a technician to determine which one. The best I can do is provide you with a link below to a directory of repair shops, one of which should be in your area and able to help you.

http://www.acecam.com/uk-camera-repair.html
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many thanks Rick. I now know what I have to do.

Best wishes,

Lionel

Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome