RUSSTING
RUSSTING, Technician
Experience:  30 years as a TV station tech gives me a unique understanding of digital camera operation and repair.
24675295

I have an old (ish) Canon Power Shot G5 that I use for taking

Customer Question

I have an old (ish) Canon Power Shot G5 that I use for taking studio photos for my website. I really don't know much about it - a colleague set it up in 'white balance' mode (I have a tungsten lamp and 'igloo') for me and all I have to do is turn it on and shoot the picture. Then I put them on to the computer for re-sizing etc in photoshop.
However, after using it quite happily all week, I went to use it again today and it won't show the image I want to shoot!!! The viewer is blank. I have no-one here to ask and I've spent the last 2 hours trying to figure it out using the manual (except a lot of it is meaningless to me). Is it something I have accidentally changed? I don't remember touching anything other than the On Camera shooting setting. Or is it a problem that needs repairing? Everything else seems to work OK. As you can see I am a complete novice!! Oh, I charged up the battery fully yesterday.
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  RUSSTING replied 3 years ago.

Please press the DISPLAY button a number of times. It should restore screen functionality. If not, please let me know.
graphic

If you require additional information, please use the Reply to XXXXX to contact me. Click the ratings only after our exchange is complete and you are satisfied.

If, and only if my answer to your question is helpful and you are Satisfied with it, please leave Positive Feedback. Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX that. It just shows the tiny rectangle for centring image, pressed again shows some settings. Then when pressed several times it just goes back/forth between the 2 or just blank.

I also tried to re-set to factory settings. Nothing changed. Tried taking out/changing batteries and card and leaving for a minute.

I've been desperately searching online all day for a solution. I read something about a cable being broken? But everything else seems to work perfectly OK.

Any more ideas?

I've just connected the camera to my PC and the pictures I took using the view-finder are just black!! Does that cast any more light on the problem??!

Expert:  RUSSTING replied 3 years ago.
Are you able to view previously taken photos in the display?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes I can.

Expert:  RUSSTING replied 3 years ago.
Since the reset did not solve the issue then, unfortunately, the symptoms indicate that there is a problem with the ccd (the light sensitive chip that produces the image)or the connection to it, Canon repair is really the only option and while your camera was not on the list of cameras Canon's on free repair program, the information at the links below do explain this progressive problem and tells how Canon handled it. I am sorry to say that Canon stopped extended coverage for this issue in mid 2012.. You are now the 5th person in a three month period, with a Canon digital camera that I have advised of this problem.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/digital_cameras?pageKeyCode=prdAdvDetail&docId=0901e024801e74fe

http://www.imaging-resource.com/badccds.html

Please keep in mind that my diagnosis & solutions provided are directly dependent on the accuracy of your description of the problem. As with any "do it yourself" fixes, success is a "team effort", since I can't see or touch the camera, and relies on the customer's manual dexterity and ability to follow the instructions well.

If you require additional information, please use the Reply to Expert Tab to contact me. Click the ratings only after our exchange is complete and you are satisfied.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well, I seem to have fixed the problem!!!!! After loads of searching I concluded I had a 'stuck' lens (?).

Checked by turning off flash and taking a picture whilst looking down the lens. The shutter didn't move. After gentle tapping on/around the zoom and taking lots of snaps haphazardly it suddenly opened up!! When I checked the LCD it worked again fine.

I suspect it is the weather causing sensitivity. I'm going to make sure I keep it in its pouch and at an even temperature. Thank you for trying to help - I, too, had come to the conclusion it was a technical problem needing an expert. In fact, I had contacted a local repairer and am still waiting for them to come back to me with an estimate. As the camera is old I wasn't too hopeful!

Expert:  RUSSTING replied 3 years ago.
Excellent. Please let me know what the local repair shop comes up with. Thanks