Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

cannon ip2500. new cartridges no reds on test sheet even

Customer Question

cannon ip2500. new cartridges no reds on test sheet even after cleaning
problems before changing cartridges i.e purple haxe. any ideas??
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I regret that your case waited so long for a response; I will do what I can to provide the right answer to your question.

I suspect that you have a printhead problem, unfortunately. If so, it might mean the end of your printer's usable lifetime... or considerable expense replacing the printhead, possibly greater expense in the long run than would be incurred by replacing the whole printer.

(How old is your printer, measured from its date of purchase?)

Have you been using Canon OEM-original inks, or have you been using refills / 'compatible' cartridges, etc. ? the difference can be important.

Do you know how to run a 'Printhead Cleaning' cycle from the printer's controls (or sometimes you can run it from the software provided for the printer by Canon, on your computer) ? if so, I have directions for you to follow that might lead to a good conclusion to this problem.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you for your reply,

printer could be 6 years old

yes i have been using refills

i have run cleaning cycle from printers controls to no availe charlie

Well... to sum up so far: your printer is completely out of warranty coverage, refills are not good for a printer's printhead (unless they happen coincidentally to have exactly the qualities of viscosity, drying time, pore size, etc. that the original OEM ink has), and there is a cleaning cycle combination that may help nonetheless:

1. Clean the printhead.
2. Wait 1/2 hour to several hours or overnight, leaving the printer On but unused (no print jobs, etc.)
This allows waste ink to soak into the printhead and hopefully dissolve dried ink etc.
3. Clean the printhead a second time.
4. Wait again (as in step 2 above) for 1/2 hr. to several hrs., printer On but unused.
5. Clean the printhead a third time.
Then test whether red ink is showing up at all in prints at this point. If it is, even faintly, then repeating this procedure will (eventually, at the cost of a certain amount of ink wasted in the process) clear up the clogged printhead.

After that fails, if it does fail, what you need to do is to decide whether replacing the printhead (which will cost something considerable, more than you would think usually) is better, given the printer's age, or whether it would be more preferable for you to replace the printer altogether with a new one (and hopefully recycle the old printer, always a good idea.)

So try the triple-cleaning-with-wait-times that I recommended, and get back to me if it doesn't work for you (so I can advise you further...)... or if it does help (- I always like to hear that something I recommended has worked!)

Let me know what you observe, what happens, etc. Thanks.