Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

I have a Canon EOS 550D and wish to use an external speedlite

I have a Canon EOS 550D and wish to use an external speedlite without inbuilt pop up flash.
Please advise if this is possible and if so the settings please.
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

If you got no results by following the instructions for both your camera and your SpeedLite flash, there are some possible interpretations, depending upon facts:

- What error message did you receive at any time?
- What model of SpeedLite did you try to use?

I presume you are aware that, for many types of flashes, they require the pop-up flash be there to control the slave or remote flash, by producing an initial very slight flash, which signals to the remote flash to produce the full-intensity main flash. For this sort of signaling to work, you would definitely need the pop-up flash to be raised. Therefore you would need a remote flash that works by a different signaling method, and also is set to a different signaling method.
(That's why I need to know what model of SpeedLite you have... to see whether it is one of the flashes that needs the pop-up flash on the camera to be raised and active.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have a Yongnuo Speedlite YN560-11. This was bought on line as a Christmas present- unfortunately the basic manual is limited and written in basic English!

Some information about that model of flash:

http://speedlights.net/2011/11/16/yongnuo-speedlite-yn560-ii-manual-flash-new/

states that it is utterly incapable of using E-TTL II (Canon) or i-TTL (Nikon), and can only be used in M (Manual) mode.

Also implied is that it must be mounted on the camera's hot shoe... but that seems to be contradicted later in that page.

(It is late, in my time zone, and so I am going to offer further information later. Meanwhile, let me know, if you have any thoughts about this. Thanks.)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have been using in manual mode successfully with the speedlite away from the camera and not mounted on the hot shoe. In this case the pop up flash also fires which I would have liked not to have done. But reading your 1st response it appears this is necessary to send a signal to the Speedlite.

Try the Speedlite in S1 or S2 mode. It might make a difference (though I doubt it. I'm recommending that just to 'cover all the bases' before pronouncing what you are asked to be most likely impossible.)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The Speedlite is fine in S1 and S2 mode - but still with the pop up operating.

Then I guess it's the sort of flash that can't be operated with the pop-up raised and working. (Probative of that, would be to disable the pop-up flash so that even if raised it would not fire, and then try this with the Speedlite and see if it fails to work that way either.

(Disabling the flash would involve setting 'No Flash', I think. But that might cut off E-TTL communcations, etc.... not that E-TTL signaling works with this Speedlite in any case.)

Please rate my Answer - favorably, I would hope - in order that I may be paid for the work I have done on your case. Thanks.