Richard, Camera Repair
Experience:  Camera Repairman
32989067

We live in a detached two story house with 3 upstairs bed rooms

We live in a detached two story house with 3 upstairs bed rooms one of which is used as an office.

We currently have 2 separate BT telephone lines
1) Tel : 585600 (BT Graphite 3 telephones to one base station)
2)Fax, Broadband : 588579 into the office with a Cannon MX870 set up in the office sharing a broadband using an ADSL filter... perfect .

There is an extension line to 585600 already setup into the office and I would like to save cost and drop the Fax Broadband phone line 588579.

The new setup would run Broadband with ADSL and Fax from the extension from 585600 into the office. The 3 BT Graphite telephones would remain the same with the base station set up down stairs with one of the extensions from the Graphite base setup in the office.

With just a single line (585600) running FaX, Broadband and Telephone would the Canon MX850 still receive faxes if it was left on all the time or would it interfere with the telephone and would we need to change the settings on the MX850 or switch it on and off to receive faxes ?
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

The Fax machine can still receive faxes on this line. It will auto listen and recieve the fax if it detects a fax being sent through.

But as you are sharing the line, you need to set the priority different.

To set the Tel Priority receive mode
On the operation panel, press the following buttons to select the appropriate receive mode.

Press .

Press .

Press the right or left arrow button to select [Receive mode settings], then press .

Press the up or down arrow button to select [Tel Priority Mode], then press .

Press repeatedly to return to fax standby mode.

But do know, faxes sent will also cause the phones to ring, as they will now all be on the same line.

Please note, The following known telephone service features that will prevent a fax (either receiving or sending) from completing automatically are listed below.

Note:

The listed features may be named differently dependent on your telephone service provider and area.

Call Block (Privacy Control)
Caller Announcement
Selective Call Acceptance / Rejection
Voice Mail -
Sending: stuttering dial tone will prevent outbound calls from completing
Receiving: inbound calls are routed to a voice mail system instead of the remote fax machine.

Running on one line can be problematic if you are constantly receiving faxes. If this is the case, you may wish to consider a service such as

www.efax.com

Which allows you to send and receive faxes direct from your computer, without the need of a fax machine.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Richard, Camera Repair
Experience: Camera Repairman
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Many thanks this is very clear.

I need to go out in a minute and will set this up today and come back if I have more questions or give you the appraisal.

Can I contact you by email ?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Chris.

We can only communicate here sorry, via this website.

Let me know if you have any difficulties please
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No problem Richard,

I have printed your advice and will set it up later this morning I don't think it will be a problem - your help was excellent I have submitted the form

Thanks Chris

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you Chris,

Still, any issues, just let me know here, no problem with this.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Good morning Richard,

I setup the MX870 Fax line and BT Broadband to my BT phone line 585600 as described with MX870 fax set at TEL Priority.

When we tested it I can send a fax with no problem but I cannot receive a fax. The BT Broadband is working perfectly.

Can you help me ?

Regards,

Chris

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Richard,

I have tried to make contact this morning I have setup the fax and broadband the Cannon MX870 is set to TEL Priority it sends a fax but will not receive BT Broadband working perfectly.

Regards,

Chris

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Richard are you receiving my messages ?

Please respond by return

Chris

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Please reply to my recent message even if you cant do anything

I need to find an alternative solution quickly

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Hi Chris,

Sorry I was not online since Friday. How did you go with this?