Steve G.
Steve G., Technician
Experience:  VP of electronic repair company.
329447

I can see nothing through the viewfinder on my Canon 5D mk

I can see nothing through the viewfinder on my Canon 5D mk 1 and the shutter is not working - what is the problem?
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Steve G. replied 3 years ago.
Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

Remove the lens and look into the camera. Is the mirror folded up?

Please let me know so that we can continue.

Steve
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Mirror or sensor appears to have become detached

Expert:  Steve G. replied 3 years ago.
Ok, that's not good. I would strongly discourage you from trying to fix that yourself. Especially on a 5D.

Where do you live in the UK Peter?

Also, I assume that the camera is not under warranty??

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I live in Helston in the west of Cornwall near Penzance. Camera is no longer under warranty

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Live in Helston west Cornwall about 10 miles from Penzance. Camera is no longer under warranty

Expert:  Steve G. replied 3 years ago.

Know it well. Used to go to Perranporth in my youth.

I would call Colchester Camera Repair at 01206 84 33 22

There are only three or four outfits in the UK that are factory authorized to work on Canon. They are who I used when I lived in London. You should have no problem with them, they are very professional. I am in no way affiliated with them.

I think that you looking at a repair in the £100- £150 range.

Please let me know the outcome. I'm sorry that there is no quick and easy fix for this.

Steve