Richard, Camera Repair
Experience:  Camera Repairman
32989067

CanonPC12348.0megapixels; recently my husbands camera

Customer Question

CanonPC12348.0megapixels; recently my husbands camera was flooded with Turkish tea!!dont ask me to tell you the details!! since then every time a picture is taken it short circuits and he has to use fresh batteries for the next pictures; any help gratefully received. thank you mrs naomi XXX

Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

When you remove the batteries, test them in another device and tell me if the battery is actually flat please.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

my husband is out of the house at present;can we call back later this morning and he can answer the questions> thank you -will call you later

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
No problem, till then.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, all four batteries are flat. None of them read more than 0.75 to 0.90 volts

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

The mainboard on the camera is shorting out the batteries which is why they are drained flat.

This will have been caused by liquid from the tea seeping onto the mainboard.

You wont be able to purchase the mainboard yourself to replace, it will need to be done by an authorised repair.

I would advise you return the camera to the place of purchase. Attempt to claim a warranty repair on it, as the water damage is not always apparent. Do not mention the Tea. If they discover water damage, they will then quote you on the price to repair it. But I would first attempt to have this done under warranty if possible Elizabeth.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, that is what I thought. The camera is six years old so the warranty option does not apply. The camera was a retirement present from my employer and was sourced in the US but I will investigate what options are available in the UK. Thank you.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Your welcome.

Without a warranty, and due to its age, I would be cautious about a repair, as this is likely to exceed the value of the camera.