Freddy M.
Freddy M., IT Technician
Experience:  Years of experience.
15852642

Hi I have a Canon MX885 printer which has worked wonderfully

Customer Question

Hi I have a Canon MX885 printer which has worked wonderfully until about three weeks ago
It won't print colours truly. I have just done a test where Red came out yellow Blue did not print at all Green printed out pale yellow, purple printed out even paler yellow and yellow printed our strong yellow. Black prints black!
I have cleaned nozzles etc realigned heads and done all the maintenance I can do from the screen.
I have out all new cartridges in. They are not canon but are from the same supplier I have always used
Help!
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Hello my name isXXXXX look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
If you make a photo copy from the scanner glass does it come out blank as well?
Have you tried manually cleaning the machine by hand?
If you switch to a genuine cartridge does it work properly?
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have not used Canon cartridges because they are four or five times more expensive. I have had the printer for at least two years and have never used Canon cartridges. The ones I use are the ones I have always used and the reviews are five star

I have cleaned the glass

I have just tried to copy on colour a document which is in black type with a paragraph highlighted in green

The black printing is faint and the green highlighting is yellow!

I have also just tried to copy a document with some handwriting in red pen which comes out blank!

Can I try anything else to help you identify the problem

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Canon cartridges are more expensive because they are oil based and clean the print heads as the ink runs through, if you run the maintenance options once in a while this is nothing to worry about. Unfortunately what you gave me tells me exactly where the problem lies and unfortunately sounds like you may need a new part, you missed answering one of my questions however, Have you tried manually cleaning the machine by hand? Not the scanner glass but the inside of the machine.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi sorry I misunderstood

No I have not tried cleaning the inside of the machine. Shall I?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
No worries, and yes please, Let's try doing a manual cleaning of the machine and see if that helps at all.
If you have any trouble or get stuck at any point please let me know so I can help you.

Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself.
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.
If any of the other cartridges are low, empty, leaking or bulging replace them.

Now once you have done all of that turn off the machine and unplug it for 70 seconds
Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message
Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there.

If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Freddy

The printer is now working fine but the photocopier is still not right

The test document I did as follows

Red prints as yellow

blue prints a pale blue

green a very pale green

purple prints yellow

yellow prints yellow !!!

and black prints a dark greenish black and slightly shadowy

I followed your instructions but even after six or seven cotton buds each there was still a little ink on them. Should I persevere?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Ok the next step would be to remove the print head and clean it of any dried ink that may be in the nozzles. To do that remove the cartridges and then there should be a lever on the carriage you can lift up that will release the print head. Soak the print head in warm water for about 10 minutes. Then repeat these steps until the water is clear after it soaks. Dry it off with a cloth and then put it back in the machine to test it. If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue. If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Freddy

Just to be sure is the print head the piece with the five nozzles which the cartridges slot into

I have removed it but just want to be sure

Liz

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Yes that is it.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok I will go and do this and let you know

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Ok please do.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is it ok to put it back with some drops of water on it. I have shaken it and used cotton buds to get most of the water off but seem to remember that I must not touch the connections

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
That is correct leave the contacts, it is ok for it to be a little wet, it may take 2 or 3 prints before you notice the difference.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Brilliant thank you so much all seems well now

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
You're welcome and please don't forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Freddie

A couple of days ago you tried to help me with my printer and I thought it was fixed. However after working for part of a 13 page document it reverted to printing out in either just black or to yellow where there had been other colours.

Can you help please

Liz

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Did you repeat the same steps I gave you before again?
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No but it only worked for about 6 pages from a 13 page document.

I have just tried to print a photo of a scene in my dining room with a blue tablecloth several small children and some food and it is almost all bright yellow!

I am not sure going over all the steps again would help would it

Liz

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Sometimes it takes up to 3 times before working fully. After that unfortunately it would mean you need a new part. Can you repeat the steps again for me and let me know if anything changes or if the same thing happens?
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

will do I will get back to you

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Ok, take your time.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Freddy I am sorry but having don the same again the printer worked for three sheets of mixed colour printing and then the yellow took over again where there was anything other than black

you said it may take two or three times should I try again?
liz

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
It should have shown a little more improvement the second time but what you are describing sounds like it did not. I was afraid of that, the next step would be to try a print head cleaning kit like this one: Click Here It says Brother but it works with all brands as all kits come with the same thing. It comes with solution that dissolves dried ink that may be on the sensors or in the ink line a syringe and instructions. If this still does not work it is it means the print head has failed. In order to fix this the print head inside the printer needs to be replaced.

I really hate to have to tell you this but after the troubleshooting we have done if the problem is still there I am sorry to say you indeed are going to require a new part. I know this is not what you want to here but I want to make sure I am honest with the information I provide you. You would need to replace the print head in order to fix this issue.

I wish there was another way but with everything you have posted I am confident this is the problem with your machine. The reason for this is he print head is the part of the printer that puts ink from the cartridges onto the page. Over time these parts deteriorate and need to be replaced.

A new print head normally costs between $80 and $100. You can get the part from here: Click Here In case you would like to look for it somewhere else the part number is QY6-0080. Due to the price some people do decide to replace the machine if it is more than a year old if you decide to go that route I would be happy to help you find a replacement. If this machine is under a year old (3 with an extended warranty) Canon will normally cover the part under warranty. If you have any questions or need any help following these steps click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please consider leaving a positive rating for my help it is greatly appreciated.
.