Rick
Rick, Technician
Experience:  I'm a photographic equipment technician with over 25 years in the business
47133069

My Canon 17-85mm lens only works intermittently on my 50D Canon

My Canon 17-85mm lens only works intermittently on my 50D Canon .... other lenses work perfectly . I get a message saying it needs contacts cleaned ..... any ideas ?
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Rick replied 3 years ago.
Hi. My name isXXXXX a camera repair technician with over 20 years in the business and I'll be glad to help you with your question today.

Canon lenses are infamous for internal connection problems. The various parts like the power diaphragm and the image stabilizer are connected to the main circuit board via flexible, ribbon cables. Even though these "Flexes" are designed to bend with the lens, they do crack and break. They are replaceable but it's a complicated job even for a professional technician. The sad pat is, the parts themselves come to about $10 but most repair shops will charge you $200 to install them. You may want to check around locally for a camera repair shop and if you need assistance finding a qualified technician for the repair, let me know.