hsroy79
hsroy79, Other
Experience:  Camra Technician
34714361

I have a Canon ixus 100is. The lens is jammed in the open

I have a Canon ixus 100is. The lens is jammed in the open position. When I turn the camera, there is no movement from the lens, and the camera says "lens error, restart the camera". When I do that, there is no result. Can this be rectified?
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  hsroy79 replied 3 years ago.
Hi I am himadri ...

Look carefully between the lens and the camera body for any sand, dirt or any damaged etc.Try turning the camera with the lens facing down and shake to dislodge anything stuck and try removing batteries and memory card, wait 5 minutes and refit the battery only and let me know the result...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No joy Himadri, tried what you suggested. the lens is not moving at all.

Expert:  hsroy79 replied 3 years ago.
Turn off the camera. Place it on the back with the lens facing up and take a look at the spacing between the lens and the lens housing. If you notice that the gap is not even all the way around the lens. This type of a problem usually occurs if the camera was dropped while the lens was extended. In such cases, the lens barrel was moved from its regular place and your goal would be to try and put it back into place. Simply - VERY GENTLY - press down the lens on the side where the gap is the biggest. You should hear a click as it pops back into place. Try powering the camera back on and let me know the result..
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The lens is stuck fast. There is no give at all. Is it a case of going to a camera doctor?

Expert:  hsroy79 replied 3 years ago.
Dose your camera under warranty ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, warranty. The camera is 5 years old now. Is it worth repairing?

Expert:  hsroy79 replied 3 years ago.
Then please don't send your to service center because the repairing cost is too high almost a new camera price. So if you buy a new camera then it is good idea for you....
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  hsroy79 replied 3 years ago.
Thanks For trying just Answer....