Richard, Camera Repair
Experience:  Camera Repairman
32989067

My Canon 400d is showing error reading cf card, after my

My Canon 400d is showing 'error reading cf card', after my son removed the card last night. I know that he has done something to the mechanism that the card clips into and also broken/bent a couple of the prongs that go into the card. Can this part of the camera be replaced? If so, is it economical to do so, given that the camera is around 8 years old? Thanks!
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

I am sorry about your problem. It can be fixed, it depends on the extent of how badly the pins are bent.

It may also not cost too much. I advise to go to a camera repair store and have them offer a quote for this. you then know before hand how much it will cost. If the pins can be easily straightened and the spring is not broken, then the repair will not be expensive at all (about 50 pounds) but I would not go over 150 pounds to fix this.

but you will know this before committing to the cost of repair.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I think the spring may be broken, or something is definitely affecting the action of the mechanism. I have had a closer look inside and 3 of the pins have been broken off. would this increase the cost of repair considerably? I don't live anywhere near a canon dealer (plane or overnight ferry, so would have to send it away - another cost to consider! Thanks
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
If the pins are actually broken off Jenny, then its going to be a considerable cost, as the camera needs to be completly dismantled.

This does not make it economical to fix. If they were bent, then yes, but not when they are broken off sorry. You are best to purchase a new camera.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I thought that may be the case, thanks.

I'm a bit disappointed as I really liked it. On the plus side - time for an upgrade!
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
And in 8 years Jenny, the cameras have really improved, so it is time :)

If you need anything else, please let me know

And please remember the service rating by clicking one of the smiley faces below.