Richard, Camera Repair
Experience:  Camera Repairman
32989067

Canon EOS 20D with lens EFS 17 - 85. Error 99 comes up when

Customer Question

Canon EOS 20D with lens EFS 17 - 85. Error 99 comes up when pictures are taken, no image
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is Richard and I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

The lens is the issue, and its the drive that works it.

First, can you clean the contact points on the Lens, then attach it back to the phone.

Does it still give the error?

Please let me know

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The contacts on both the lens and the camera have been thoroughly cleaned several times, this has not solved the problem.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

Remove the batteries and wait 5 minutes,

Then put the batteries back in, turn it on and tell me if your still getting the error please John.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am afraid that the error 99 still comes up, after the battery was taken out for five minutes.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

It is the lens that has faulted.

A corrupted firmware can cause this. But we have ruled this out by restarting it. We have also removed the other cause of this problem which is the contacts, which confirms the Lens itself has faulted.

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the Lens to have it replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Unfortunately you were unable to answer my problem, therefore I am unable to rate your service. I have cancelled my subscription with Just Answer.

Thank you for trying.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
I did answer your problem John.

Did you not read the message?

I don't understand your response at all, and it appears you waited till you had the answer, before cancelling, which is really not the right thing to do...

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You did understand the problem but could not resolve it, except to say that the lens is at fault and needs repair. Thank you for your help, I have cancelled my free subscription and do not want to continue. However I may come back to you in the future.

I did read your message and am sorry that you did not understand my response. I hope that this is clearer.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
sure John