Richard, Camera Repair
Experience:  Camera Repairman
32989067

I have a Canon EOS 1100D which is less than 2 years old. While

Customer Question

I have a Canon EOS 1100D which is less than 2 years old. While the camera is working and still taking great pictures I am not able to turn on the screen display. Is there possibly a software issue or hard reboot I can try before sending in for repair?
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is Richard and I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

I want you please to remove the batteries from the camera, and wait 5 minutes.

Then put the batteries back in, turn on the camera and tell me if the screen then works. If not, press DISP once.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have done this before but will try now again. However you say batteries..do you mean the internal battery as well?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Yes please Linda as we want all power removed from it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i had thought of this but do not know where to find the internal battery?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
It is on the bottom latch.

You can see it on page 28 of the manual here

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/lit_files/37009.pdf

If you never removed it, how did you charge it Linda?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I can only see reference to the (large) battery and card...which of course I know how to remove. I am talking about an internal lithium battery? which I thought might also be in the camera?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
ah ok, no there is no internal battery, it uses a capacitor, but we cannot touch this, nor would it cause this problem.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I wasn't sure but didn't want to take a chance opening the camera completely. I have put the battery back in and still can not get an image on the screen. I was thinking that there might be a software issue and could try to hardboot some how as I suspect it will be a software problem.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
No, it is not a software problem, only the firmware would crash, and then the camera would not work at all.

We just did the hard boot.

The backlight or the LCD controller has failed, which is why the screen is not working.

It is repairable, and you will be looking at about 150 pounds, including labor, but the will need to be replaced Linda.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok. Thanks. Is this something that is somewhat common or have i just been unlucky?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
It is common in the sense that most failures for this camera are with the screen, but it does not happen a lot. Its a good camera Linda, you just got unlucky sorry.
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.