Rick
Rick, Technician
Experience:  I'm a photographic equipment technician with over 25 years in the business
47133069

I have a Cannon EOS 3000: Body number(NNN) NNN-NNNN I am using

I have a Cannon EOS 3000: Body number(NNN) NNN-NNNN
I am using 2 lenses: a) Cannon lens EF 50mm 1:1.8 II
and b) 072 Sigma Zoom 28-200mm : 1:3.8-5.6: UC
The film was Provia 400X Fujichrome RXP 135 daylight 36
Location Verona on a sunny October day, mostly using the Sigma Zoom.

18 perfect exposures (bright blue sky) then 17 very underexposed (dark blue sky and buildings) before 2 acceptable exposures (a bit dull for a sunny day) and finally 1 more underexposed.

New roll of film and still in Verona, 14 underexposed (sky not as dark a blue). Back in UK saw earlier results and looked for any obvious reasons for the failures, eg wrong film speed.

Decided to use up the roll, interchange the lenses and see the results. The remaining 23 exposures were perfect. I had not knowingly changed anything.

Any ideas of what need checking out, or just carry on and hope!

Thanks from Ken Sims
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Rick replied 3 years ago.
Hi Ken. My name isXXXXX a camera repair technician with over 20 years in the business and I'll be glad to help you with your question today.

This can be caused by one of two things : Either the shutter is erratic due to dirty magnets or, more likely, the diaphragm assembly in the lens is failing due to a cracked flex cable that connects it to the main circuit board. It can work just fine at on focal length and fail at another. Either one of these will require servicing at a camera repair shop. If you need help locating one, just let me know and I'll be happy to assist you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Rick for your useful response which focuses on the erratic nature of the fault. Regarding the diaphragm assembly in the lens, this would be a good reason if I was only using the Sigma lens.

Unfortunately the fault is also present with the few interior shots I took during this period. In particular I took 4 closeups of panels on a font with my Canon EF 50mm 1:1.8 II lens. The shutter speed would probably have been down to a 1/15th using the P mode.and this lens usually gives me excellent results. Any further comments would be appreciated.

ALSO help in locating a camera repair shop would be welcome. My post code is CR0 9BE croydon.

Thanks from Ken

Expert:  Rick replied 3 years ago.

Here's a link to Canons authorized repair site :

http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/Consumer_Products/services_locator/index.aspx