hsroy79
hsroy79, Other
Experience:  Camra Technician
34714361

I have had a Canon G10 for some 5 or 6 years -a superb camera

Customer Question

I have had a Canon G10 for some 5 or 6 years -a superb camera which got much more use than my unreliable (non-Canon) SLR.

However, it has just started playing up with too dark, then wildly over-exposed shots, alongside some perfectly exposed shots.

Also black screen sometimes appeared preventing any photography.

Today it seemed to go into melt-down, after a few good shots- last straw was the telephoto being stuck on fully extended and screen message "to restart camera" - but nothing happens now.

Any thoughts please?

is it a write-off?

John
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  hsroy79 replied 2 years ago.

I am himadri ...

Please reset your camera and let me know the result....

1. Remove the battery and memory card from the camera.
2. Let the camera sit with the battery and memory card removed
for approximately 20 minutes.
3. Clean your battery contacts with a clean cloth.
4. Reinstall the battery and power on the camera and let me know the result..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry I have been travelling and so only now able to respond.

I had taken out battery before and memory card to download the images that were intact in most cases (a few were badly overexposed) and expected the lens to retract. But it did not do so.

I tried your suggestion just now, also cleaning the contacts which I had not done before - screen just shows " lens error, restart camera".

A few noises this time but really I am back where I started I'm afraid.

I think that I have to take the camera to a specialist too be dismantled now -there are no quick fixes - do you agree? thanks ~John

Expert:  hsroy79 replied 2 years ago.
Look carefully between the lens and the camera body for any sand, dirt or any damaged etc.Try turning the camera with the lens facing down and shake to dislodge anything stuck and try removing batteries and memory card, wait 5 minutes and refit the battery only and let me know the result...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Have to go to work now - I will try this suggestion tomorrow. John

Expert:  hsroy79 replied 2 years ago.
Ok...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello - still can't get camera to work properly and of course, the problem relating to image over-exposure will be nothing to do with the failure of lens to retract.

So it seems to me that I have not one but 2 major problems.

I think I will have to take camera to a specialist for repair now in the hope that I can find out if it worth repairing or I have to " write-off".

Perhaps I should have done this in the first place come to think of it,

John

Expert:  hsroy79 replied 2 years ago.
Turn off the camera. Place it on the back with the lens facing up and take a look at the spacing between the lens and the lens housing. If you notice that the gap is not even all the way around the lens. This type of a problem usually occurs if the camera was dropped while the lens was extended. In such cases, the lens barrel was moved from its regular place and your goal would be to try and put it back into place. Simply - VERY GENTLY - press down the lens on the side where the gap is the biggest. You should hear a click as it pops back into place. Try powering the camera back on and let me know the result..

If no luck then please don't send your to service center because the repairing cost is too high almost a new camera price. So if you buy a new camera then it is good idea for you....
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello I have decided to take the camera in for repair as it seems to me that there could be 2 problems... though I don't have your knowledge of course- the lens sticking and the problems with over-exposure, and then the black screen.

To be honest I am worried about causing more damage to the camera by trying anything else , and hope I can get a bit more use out of it.

Nevertheless thanks for prompt response-always quicker than mine to you regards ~ John