You're very welcome John.
Please let me know, do you have original CD that came with your camera?
Let's try to connect your camera this way:
1. Confirm that the camera is not connected to the computer, and then set the camera's power switch to .
2. Press the MENU button to display the menu.
3. Change the camera's Auto power off settings.
3-1. Press the to select the "french key" tab, and then select [Auto power off]. Press the button.
3-2. Press the to select [Off] from the menu that appears, and then press the MENU button again.
4. Press the MENU button to turn off the display on the LCD monitor, and then turn the camera's power switch to .
5. Plug the supplied USB cable into the USB port on your computer. The port's location differs between computers. Please refer to the documentation provided with your computer for more information.
6. Connect the other end of the USB cable to the < A/V OUT / DIGITAL > terminal on the camera.
7. Set the camera's power switch to .
8. EOS Utility should open automatically.
Let me know if that works please.